Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I'm getting F-01 error code on my Whirlpool duet sport dryer

Customer Question
I am getting a F-01...
I am getting a F-01 error code on my Whirlpool duet sport dryer. How do I fix it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/3/2012
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 5 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
May I get your units Model number to better assist you?
If you open the door in will be on the face frame of the unit.

The model is WED8300SWO (or 0)

F-01 flashes when there is a primary control failure. Replace the machine control.

Here is a link to the control.

I finally got the machine control panel and replaced it, but it still is not working. I did a diagnostic again and it gives me a 03 code, with the number three "3" reversed. Suggestions?

Appliance Technician: Jon, Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

I am an authorized whirlpool service tech and I can assist you today. What is the error code you are getting on the machine now?

I did a diagnostic again and it gives me a 03 code, with the number three "3" reversed. Suggestions?

Ok. And you had originally gotten and f1 or and e1 error code correct?
Does it take a long time for your clothes to dry or does the machine just stop before the cycle is complete?
Originally got an F1 and the tech said I need to replace the machine controller. I did not get an e1. I replaced the machine controller and and ran the diagnostic and now I get an "0E" code or "03" code (with the 3 reversed)
Oe is an original equipment error. It usually means that there is no communication between the computers in the machine.
What was the part number of the machine control you installed? I would like to check that he told you to get the right part.
W10111606

He actually was thinking the central control unit was the part that you need replaced. I am afraid he was wrong and am very sorry for the error.

The f-01 error for this machine is for a miscommunication to the user interface or otherwise known a the main control. Or the user control. The board that you should have change is the user interface board part number(###) ###-####and will cost about $200. It to can be ordered at either www.searspartsdirect.com or www.marcone.com or www.repairclinic.com.

A lot of techs use repairclinic because you can send the part back if used and installed and did not fix problem.

I would order the interface and install that to fix the problem. This is the main board in the front top of the machine.

Besides the f1 error code, what was this machine doing or not doing for you? Please let me know if there was anything else wrong with the machine before or during it gave you the f1 error code. Like if the dryer was drying as quickly any more. Or if it wasn't heating at all.

I would replace the user interface and that will fix the f1 error. But there could still be other issues with your machine.

Are you sure of this. I just pulled up error codes for this model and it indicates it is a primary control. Can you send me the repair manual for this model?
The only repair manual is the tech sheet that should be behind the bottom panel in the front of the machine.
On that manual it will list the error codes and a brief description. You can check there.
But yes, I am definitely sure of your problem. I have been working on theses machines for years. And I have replaced the user interface much more then the Ccu on this particular model.

I am disappointed that the first tech sent me in the totally wrong direction. Will the repair clinic take back the incorrect part that the first Tech sent me a link for to purchase?

They will if you have purchased it from them.

It is unfortunate that the first tech gave you the wrong info. I apologize on the websites behalf. I am sure it was not his intention to give you the wrong info.

You can try returning it to sears if that is where you purchased the part from and see what they say. If they do great. If not, I might think twice about spending over $400 to fix this machine. And especially of it is over five years old. I might just sink the money I would have spent on the repairs towards a new machine. You can get a new one for about $600. But if you would like to order the computer interface and replace it to fix this machine I would get it from repairclinic.

To answer your previous question about if I was sure about the diagnosis, yes. I am absolutely sure. I have seen this problem many times over. And I am wondering how you put the machine into a diagnostic check mode of you didn't have the tech sheet behind the bottom access panel?

If you do have that tech sheet it will show you not only how to put the machine into diagnostic check mode but more importantly it will show an error code check mode. And in that mode it will bring up all the stored error codes on the computer for the last several times. And that is most important with these kinds of machines. Not the actual diagnostic check cycle. And on that sheet you will see the f1 error code for an EPROM error. Which will tell you the communication to the user interface is at fault. It will tell you to check the wiring connector for any loose wires and the front panel for any stuck control or buttons. And if there are no stuck buttons or loose connections they recommend you replace the user interface.

But even after replacing the interface, if you had any other error codes or problems with this machine, the interface may not fix them as well. That is why I asked if there were any other issues. And in fact, there could be another problem that caused the interface to go bad in the first place.

So please before you think about replacing the interface, please email me back and tell me if there were any other error codes stored in the machine computer or if you had any other problems.

I hope to have helped you or tried to help you with your questions and needs. And we hope to help you again in the future. Thanks.

I replaced both boards and I am still getting an 0E error.

Have you reset and rebooted the machine after you installed the new board? The instructions should have been in with the part. And if they were not, look it up in the use and ca manual.
The oe error again is for an operational error that means that there is a miscommunication between the boards and the machine. If you have replaced both boards and then rebooted the machine, the only explanation I have is that either the first board is wrong board for the machine like I said earlier and that will give you the error. Or there is a miswire somewhere in the machine. And that could have happened anywhere. It would be a huge job just to track done the wiring to the machine and find the problem.
I would call for service and let them take care of it for now.
Hi Jon, How do you reset/reboot the machine as you mentioned in your previous chat? First I have heard that this needs to be done.
yes. you can reboot the computer your self by unplugging the machine for at least five minutes then plugging it back in. if you cant reach the plug, flip the circuit breaker off to the machine and let it sit off for the same time. then just flip it back on.

this is called the manual reboot of the computer. if that doesnt work for you then i would suggest calling in a service company to take a look at it for you.
I have already done that and the same results. Thanks for trying.
ok. then i would call for service to have them better check your machine.

i am sorry that we coud not figure out what is goin on with your machine. sometimes these things happen. unfortunately. please understand that we cant know exactly what is happening with your machine if we are not there with it to see for ourselves.

if you need any further help with anything else, please dont hesitate to email me back at this website and i will help you further.

thank you.
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

I appreciate your help.

Thank you for your patience with this as well.

I will call my resources at whirlpool tomorrow for you and see if there is anything that we are missing. maybe there is a product update that i don't know about for this machine. you never know.

i will email you back here if i find any other info out. and you can always email me back here as well.and i will help you more.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician