Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag side by side refrigerator model #MSD264RHEW

Customer Question
which I purchased in Nov...
I have a Maytag side by side refrigerator model #MSD264RHEW which I purchased in Nov. of 2005. I didn't activate the water and ice dispenser until last 2010 because of problem water in my subdivision. I was now time to change the filter (first time changed). I bought a new filter followed the directions exactly as stated both in my manual and on the package. Installed the filter. The water does not dispense. The ice maker water dispenses but not the water dispenser. I called Home Depot where I purchased the filter and they said if it was defective I could return it followed up with the comment "We've never seen a defective filter or had one returned before" and suggested I call Maytag which I did. They said that I was to hold the dispenser pad down as long as ten minutes to get the air out of the line and the water should begin flowing. I did that, but no water. I removed the new filter and depressed the pad to see if water would come out of where the filter should be, it wouldn't. I checked my water supply and it was functioning properly. I check all the hoses they looked fine. I called Maytag back and they told me to call a repair person at $95.00 just to diagnose!!!! I just paid $44.00 for the filter! Everything was working just fine BEFORE I changed the filter. What do you think is the problem? Can you help? DESPERATE
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech replied 5 years ago
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Hello I'm Larry and will use all my training and knowledge to help you so please bear with me ,, thanks

did you remove the cover from over the head of the filter before installing it?
yes.
were you getting good water pressure out the door before you replaced the filter?

Yes. Everything was working fine. Water pressure was fine.

do you still have the old filter or do you have the by pass cap for the filter?

Yes. I still have the old filter and I replaced it to see if it would work but it didn't.

after you put the old one back in did you hold the lever down for a few minutes

Yes. I still have the old filter and I replaced it to see if it would work but it didn't. As I said without the filter on at all no water comes out when I depress the pad. In other words should water squirt out where the filter should be when I depress the pad? If so, it doesn't.

Yes, I held it down for 10 minutes. Also I made sure that the "lock" light was on off.

remove the lower crisper's in the fridge side and with a hair dyer blow warm air on the water tank on the back wall while hold the the water lever with a glass ,, this may take a few minutes blowing warm air on it
graphic
Appliance Tech Larry
Would you please tell me why I'm doing this? What do you think has happened here? If this doesn't work do I get to get you back to ask more questions?
you can ask more questions if you need me, when changing the filter it got air into the water tank and then the tank froze and will not let water run though it so we are melting the ice in the water tank
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry