Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

We have a 20 year old Amana, side by side, refrigerator

Customer Question

We have a 20 year old Amana , side by side, refrigerator located in our vacation home on Marco Island, Florida. Yesterday the automatic ice maker went out. Our home here is occupied about 65 days a year and we turn off the ice maker and water to the ice maker when we are not here. Please advise what we may do to fix it. Last night we thawed the refrigerator and the ice machine is still not working. The water is flowing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.
Welcome...When you say it went out..Was the ice maker working ok that day..Or did you return ..Then turn the ice maker and water on and still no ice..? Thanks Bob
Are you with us..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have been here for nearly 25 days and it had been working fine. We think it just went out in the last week.
Ok great so its been working ok up til now..A simple check would be to manually fill the ice maker tray with water..Once the water freezes..The ice maker should cycle..If the ice cubes dump out of the tray..And the ice maker does not fill ..Then you have a problem with either the water valve..Or possible a frozen waterline to the ice maker...You can check the frozen waterline..By following the waterline from the ice maker..To the water valve at the back bottom of fridge..Disconnect the line at the valve..Then blow through the line from the valve..If you can blow through..Then this means the line is not frozen..Which means the valve is faulty.(that is if the ice maker dumped the ice once you filled it manually)..If the ice has not dumped..Then you need to replace the ice maker itself..

I see this question is still open..Please let me know if you have any further questions..If not once using the accept option pays me for my time helping you ..Thanks Bob