Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE Profile PFSS6PKXCSS: Ice Maker doesnt make ice, only cool

Customer Question
GE Profile PFSS6PKXCSS: Ice Maker...
GE Profile PFSS6PKXCSS: Ice Maker doesn't make ice, only cool water in the ice bucket: "Inherited" this fridge when we moved. Every so often the ice dispenser would no longer dispense ice even though the motor would churn. The bucket itself could not be removed. I ran some warm water into the bucket a cup at a time through a hose thinking that the bucket might be frozen in place. In fact it was and eventually enough ice melted that I could remove the bucket. In the back of the ice compartment, there would be a couple of centimeters of ice along the bottom and along the bucket bottom side that needed to be removed. Ice that was apparently jamming the ice maker, preventing it from making ice would melt, and it would work for a couple of months until the process had to be repeated. Conclusion was that a small amount of water was leaking from the ice maker whenever it refilled; I could live with that. Recently, however, there is no ice and water is pooling in the bucket when the ice maker fills with water, but does not freeze. Fortunately, the process occurs once and then stops after the first time the ice maker fills up with water (so no flooding). I press the test switch on the ice maker (front top right corner) and there is no response from the ice maker. Bottom freezer is working fine; fridge is working fine; water is dispensing properly. Seems like the Ice Maker needs to be replaced; will likely replace the ice bucket as well; I'm pretty handy so expect to be able to handle the repair myself. Is there anything else I should do to troubleshoot before replacing parts? Should I replace the ice maker with the Samsung IMC701 DA97-05422A Ice Maker or the GE WR30X10131 or the GE WR29X10097? Any recommendations for a parts supplier? Any additional advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration and response.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/1/2012
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 5 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Hello and thank you for using this service. If the icemaker is leaking and not activating as you had stated then you may have a defective icemaker. Now you have to check the vents to the icmaker and make sure they are clear. Your unit uses a separate evaporator fan on the freezer to blow are to the icemaker. Make sure that blower is working. You take off the back panel and check to make sure the evaporator is frosting all the way. If some of it is frosted and some of it is not then you have a sealed system issue. GE has had issues with this and it may be covered under warranty. Here is a breakdown so you can see where the evaporator. The blower for the icemaker is on the left. If all is good and airflow is good replace the icemaker The part number is XXXXX Check that blower and air duct.
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thanks for the response.. very helpful. Can you provide a link to image you provided that will render in full-screen.. when I click on it, its a thumbnail only that I can't see. Lastly, is there a way to verify that the blower is, in fact, working?
Yes just go to http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/ enter your model and all of the image breakdowns will come up and you can scan them over
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician