Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

My KitchenAid microwave Model is KCMS185J. The display looks

My KitchenAid microwave Model is KCMS185J. The display looks like it usually does after the power goes out. However, the power didn't go out and the double ovens right next to it still have the time indicator light on and functioning properly.

I tried resetting as though it might have been locked, but not numbers come on. I can hear the beeps.

Also, the if I set the microwave to cook for 20 seconds, even though there are no indicator lights, it works fine. The "COOK" indicator also coms on.

Any suggestions?

Peter :

Hi, my name isXXXXX am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. Push and hold the "clock" button for 10 seconds. Does the time display?

Customer:

Hi Peter,

Customer:

It didn't work. There are only 2 lines horizontally across the top.

Peter :

You have a defective display board.

Customer:

Are you sure? It was just working this morning?

Peter :

You can try turning the power off at the breaker for 2 minutes to reset the board but the lcd display has gone out and needs to be replaced. It is part of the display board.

Peter :

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way we receive pay for our knowledge and time.
Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

Peter :

You can order the board from www.repairclinic.com

Customer:

Thanks for trying to help. I will accept, was just wondering how much it would be to repair or would it be better to get new?

Peter :

Board is $207.00 plus tax and shipping.

Peter :

Price some new microwaves and compare.

Customer:

Thanks so much!