Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

kenmore side by side refrigerator , model 596-50392001. Does

not cool, fridge nor freezer...
kenmore side by side refrigerator , model 596-50392001. Does not cool, fridge nor freezer. I cleaned the condensor coils of heavy dust. I can hear the compressor try to start, a solenoid clicks on but shuts off after about 20 seconds. Is this possibly the start device?
2/25/2012
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

It is called the start relay or starting device. Sounds like it very well could have failed.

Tim Alan :

Can you look on the compressor and tell me the brand of compressor please?

Customer:

OK just a minute

Tim Alan :

Thank you

Customer:

tecumseh

Tim Alan :

Oh ok is that a black relay that is on the compressor, you would have to remove the cover if there is one.

Customer:

No idea. Does the cover pull off or should I look for screws?

Tim Alan :

There is typically a strap that you can pry off with a screw driver and then the cover comes off. Turn the power off first also. Then take the relay off and shake it, some units have one component that is both the overload and relay, others have an overload and a relay, the overload would be white and plugs into a single terminal the overload plugs into 2 terminals. Take the relay off and shake it most of the time when they are bad it will rattle.

Customer:

ok . I got the cover off while you were replying. I will pull the part and try the shake test.

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you

Customer:

the part that plugged into th sihgle post

Tim Alan :

ok

Customer:

the part that plugged into the single post does rattle

Tim Alan :

Ok very good that is the problem then there should not be any rattle in either part.

Tim Alan :

I will get the part number for you and both should be replaced at the same time the relay and the overload, they should come together in a kit.

Customer:

Ok.Just for kicks I will check the other component

Tim Alan :

W10189190 this is the part number

Customer:

The second psrt does not rattl

Tim Alan :

I would still replace it a failure in that part could cause the overload failure

Customer:

the second part does not rattle but I hear you on replacement of both. Will that part number allow me to source it locally

Tim Alan :

It is a very common part most appliance stores will have them just type in appliance parts to locate your local listings

Customer:

Thanks that was fun. As a safe and vault tech for 30+ years I stubbornly like to believe that that I can fix stuff. Couldn't have done it without your help though. I think this is the fix.

Tim Alan :

Your welcome the pleasure was all mine I like to help people, please remember to press the accept button and leave a comment, thank you and have a great day, I am very glad that I could help you.

Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Tim Alan
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician