Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I used oven cleaner in my self-cleaning oven.....did not read

I used oven cleaner in my self-cleaning oven.....did not read manual, obviously. Now I am in a panic because it is all chaulky no matter how many times I wipe it down. Please tell me there is something I can do???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

What have you used to wipe it down?

Customer:

First water, then I tried Bon Ami but neith made a difference

Robert :

Did you spray the interior with the oven cleaner and then start the cycle OR did you wipe it down first?

Customer:

Sprayed with oven cleaner then started cycle

Robert :

Choose a small spot in the oven and use the oven cleaner again. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute and then clean it off. Letthe spot dry and see if the ash look returns to that spot. If so, then you will not be able to get it off. The new coating is slightly porous so the cleaner probably cooked into those pores. That is why they don't recommend using the cleaner on ranges newer than 1999. The panels are porous to help the cleaning process but it is horrible when cleaners get involved.

Robert :

Let me know if that works for you. I will be here.

Customer:

No it did not work

Robert :

I called GE and Whirlpool while I was waiting and told them about your situation. GE techline told me that the ashy color will not go away but it will not affect the performance of the unit either. Whirlpool tech line was almost verbatim with GE. I know it is ugly but the units will still work. They said not to use too many different types of cleaners on the interior either. They said the other cleaners may actually change the taste of the food cooked in the oven.

Robert :

GE tech actually said that the ashy color could fade over the next few cleaning cycles.

Robert :

I couldn't confirm that with Whirlpool. He said he didn't know if that would work either.

Robert :

I know that doesn't help you fix the ash coloring but it does let you know what you are dealing with.

Robert :

Is there anything else I can help you with?