Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Refrigerator is blowing warm air from both the freezer and

Customer Question
the regular sides. It...
My Refrigerator is blowing warm air from both the freezer and the regular sides. It is a ED2FHEXVSOO whirlpool. The compressor is running, warm to the touch, fan is blowing. We just got the thing from a used furniture place. It was freezing cold when we looked at it there, but it has only gotten warmer since we plugged it up at our house. This is the second fridge that has had this problem. We have plugged it into a different outlet, checked the breakers, vacuumed the insides... I just don't know what else to do.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/19/2012
Appliance Technician: Barry G., Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the freezer fan blowing? A compressor can be warm but not operating, was the compressor also vibrating? And lastly how long has it been plugged in?

Barry
Yes, air is blowing into the freezer. The compressor is warm, but not to hot to the touch. It is vibrating and it's been plugged in at our house for two days.

Thank you so much!
If you have not heard anything buzz or click open the freezer and remove the lower rear panel in the back. It is arrowed in the diagram below. Are the coils behind that heavily frosted or no frost at all. Or lightly coated with frost? Take your time.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
I can see something that looks like coils through the grate in the back of the freezer. I'm still taking it apart, but it doesn't appear to have any frost on it at all. I'll let you know when I've got the panel off. Thanks!
That will be fine, once you have all of the screws out press down on the sloped part so it will slip out from under the part above it. Take your time.

Barry
Got it! :) The coils are warm and there is definitely no ice. Thanks.
That is very bad, it must have been damaged during transportation. There are 3 things that need to be working. The fans inside and outside plus the compressor. If those are operating and the compressor is not cooking hot there is no coolant in that refrigerator. There is no doubt about it. I don't know if you are looking to repair it or not but you need to know this.

You will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They should be able to find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician