Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an electric whirlpool special edition 3 cycle dryer

Customer Question
model#LER3624JQ0 and it won't get...
I have an electric whirlpool special edition 3 cycle dryer model#LER3624JQ0 and it won't get hot. I have cleaned the lint from the vent and duct both from the machine and the wall. That did not work. I was told it might be the fuse and the fuse would be in black resin enclosed in white plastic housing, I don't see anything that looks like a white hosuing piece. I don't know what to do next. Can this be repaired or will I need a new dryer?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/19/2012
Appliance Technician: Robert, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

If the unit is running but won't get hot, it will not be the white resin fuse on the blower housing. That fuse makes the unit stop altogether.

Robert :

The things you will want to check are the element and the fuse on the top of the heater tube.

Robert :

The heater tube is behind the dryers back panel. Remove the complete back panel and set it aside(unplug the unit first).

Customer:

Where is the heater tube

Robert :

The heater tube is number 14 in the pic above. It will be on the right of the machine as you look at it from the back.

Robert :

Number 6 is the thermal fuse for the element.

Robert :

If you have a voltmeter you can pull the wires on number 6 and test it for continuity.

Customer:

is it behind the black metal box or the silver one

Robert :

I am confused. What are you calling a box on your unit and where are they located?

Robert :

I forgot that the vent on the left side is black.

Robert :

Is that what you were referring to.

Customer:

there are two long metal boxes/housings the black one is on the left if you are looking from the back and the silver one is on the right. There are wires going between them

Robert :

Ok. We are on the same page then. The silver one is the tube you will be working with.

Customer:

the black part iswhere the vent is

Robert :

On the top left side of the silver tube you will see a tstat with 2 wires going to it.

Robert :

That is the fuse.

Customer:

ok let me check that

Robert :

You can pull the wires off of this fuse and join them together with a jumper wire(temporarily). Tape the wire off so it doesn't touch metal. Make sure everything is clear of the wiring in the back and carefully plug the unit back in. Start the dryer and wait a few minutes. Let me know if it heats or not. IF YOU HAVE A VOLTMETER: Pull the wires off of the fuse and test it for continuity.

Robert :

I will be here.

Customer:

I am not getting anything from the fuse so I guess that's the problem

Customer:

ok

Robert :

So no continuity on the fuse, correct?

Robert :

You can try the bypass to test the heater OR you can unplug the wire on the bottom of the heater tube and test the element for continuity.

Robert :

Just let me know what you find.

Customer:

what is a jumer wire

Robert :

It is just a short piece of wire with both ends stripped. You put the stripped ends in the wires to create a complete circuit.

Robert :

Tape them so they stay and then test the dryer.

Robert :

Just be careful not to touch anything in the back with a body part. It will be a shocker if you do.

Robert :

Everything going okay?

Customer:

OK I finally figured out how to use the tester and everything seems to be good I am getting high numbers from both the fuse and the heating element

Robert :

With the wires unplug from both?

Customer:

yes

Robert :

Does your tester measure voltage?

Customer:

It has DCV ACV OMH and DCA on it which one is voltage I had it on OMH when I got the needle to move all the way over was this right

Robert :

That is right. ACV is the one you want to use to test the wall plug. You should get around 220-240 volts on this setting. Plug the dryer in and pull the plug out just enough to touch with the tester contacts. You want to tests it from each leg to the other leg all the way around it. Let me know what the readings are.

Customer:

I am getting 240

Robert :

Ok. The unit tumbles with no heat, correct?

Customer:

yes

Robert :

It has to be a wiring issue where the plug connects to the back of the dryer, the fuse on the top of the heater tube OR the element that is bad then. Pull the cover off of the wires were the plug attaches and see if there any breaks or burnt wires.

Robert :

Let me know if you find anything.

Customer:

They don't appear to be burned

Robert :

Ok. If that is all checking good then the only thing you have left on this unit is the timer. Just make sure that you double check the element and the fuse on the case for continuity. If they both read good then the timer is the only option you have left.

Customer:

Now I am not getting anything from the fuse or the element

Robert :

Are you set on OHMS again?

Customer:

yes

Robert :

Do you think you can try that jumper wire on the fuse?

Robert :

I am not trusting that meter at the moment.

Customer:

I don't have any wires and I think I am going to just buy another dryer

Robert :

The fuse and the element are about 100 dollars together if you replaced them both. Half that if you figure out which is bad.

Robert :

Without a dependable meter and reading OR jumper testing, I can't tell you which one to get.

Customer:

OK maybe I will get a new meter tomorrow and try this again thank you for your help. If I figure out which is bad I may need your help again

Robert :

Let me get you the part numbers now so you have them.

Robert :

279816 is the fuse kit and the element is 279838.

Customer:

thanks

Robert :

No problem. Just let me know if you need anything else. I know it is frustrating the fist time you try it but it is cheaper than replacing the entire dryer.

Customer:

ok

Robert :

Here is a link to a video. The guy is kinda brash but it will show you how to test exactly.

Robert :

I figured that may help also.

Customer:

The video will help

Robert :

Good.

Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician