Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

my ice maker auger doesnt turn, motor comes on but the just

Customer Question

my ice maker auger doesn't turn, motor comes on but the just clicks and hums. the power was off today for 8hrs. I think the motor drive is froze up.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
Hello.

The motor probably had frost built up on it when the power went off. The power being off allows the frost to turn into water and when it freezes again, the motor locks up.

I would try pulling the assembly out of the freezer and using a hair dryer on it until it is completely dry. Maybe leave it out overnight if you don't want to use the dryer method. Also, check the ice bucket because the ice probably melt and then froze together again. I would empty the ice into a container and start all over just to be safe. Let me know if you have any other issues or this doesn't work. I doubt the motor went out that fast but, stranger things have happened. I will be on for a while tonight and throughout the weekend if you need me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You for the help.
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
No problem. Just let me know if you run into any snags.