Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a 27 cu ft Whirlpool refridgerator, fridge french double

Customer Question
doors at the top and...
I have a 27 cu ft Whirlpool refridgerator, fridge french double doors at the top and the freezer is at the bottom. The indicator light on the front panel says we need to replace the water filter and the ice maker isn't working, related. Where is the filter and how do I replace it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/11/2012
Appliance Technician: Robert, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Hello.

Can you get the model number off of the sticker inside the refrigerator for me?
W10260880
That is a part number on your unit. The model number will start with 2 to 3 letters and then a series of numbers and letters. It is usually on the inside of three refrigerator cavity on the right or left side. It will say MOD or Model right beside it.
That is the only sticker that I can see in my fridge
Ok. How old is the unit? Maybe I can pull that age of unit up and get you the info that way.
It is a Whirlpool Gold and I believe it is only two or three years old.
Try this one first: Open the door on right side of the refrigerator compartment. Look up at the top of the liner for a long rectangle box. There should be a spot on it that you can push on the front of it. The door should drop down and reveal the water filter. Let me know if yours is like that. If not, I will look for another model.
It's there, Thanks. Is this filter available at Home Depot, Lowes or a similar store?
Yes. They carry them a Lowe's and Best Buy for sure. The part number UKF8001. There should be two buttons (or one) on the front panel that you have to push to reset the light. If you have your manual it will tell you. I can't say without the model but the unit should be marked.
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
How do I replace the filter? Does it pull out? Is it necessary to shut off the water supply? Should I unplug the fridge?
You just have to unscrew the filter. It will twist out. No need to shut the water or electricity off, it does it automatically.
Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician