Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a bottom freezer fridge, kenmore ( model # XXXXX 722 822

02 ) I smelled a...
I have a bottom freezer fridge, kenmore ( model # XXXXX 722 822 02 ) I smelled a plastic type smell burning the other night but couldn't figure out what it was ( I was baking, and thought it was the oven ) turns out the freezer got warm and then the fridge part stopped coolinig... I'm trying to figure out what this might be ... Is it a burned out compressor, for sure... or could it be a number of other things ? If it is a compressor ... how much does that cost to fix ?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/10/2012
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

Are you able to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and check a few things for me?

Customer:

That would be possible, except I'm not at home .. I'm still at work ,, which is part of th reason I STILL

Robert :

No worries. When you get home check the following things:

Customer:

don't have a working fridge... this actually ha[[ened a week ago ...

Robert :

1. Open the freezer and see if there is frost on the back panel of the freezer on the inside. Make sure you hear the fan running in the freezer as well.

Customer:

O.K.,, I'm not sure about the frost, or the fan, but I can hear that the fridge is running , or actually working,

Robert :

2. Pull the unit away from the wall and remove the cover over the compressor area. Confirm that the fan next to the compressor is running. Make sure the compressor is hot/warm and vibrating. If it is not running, Listen for a few minutes for a click noise. Let me know what you find.

Customer:

I mean working in theory, that is ... I guess if it was working, we wouldn't be chatting..

Robert :

lol, I understood.

Robert :

Check those two things and get back with me. It may be as simple as the controls on the side of the compressor. If so, you are looking at about 50-60 dollars for the repair.

Customer:

Will the "cover over the compressor" be pretty obvious ? I love power tools, and those kinds of things, but with apppliances, I;m usually stumped.

Customer:

If I smelled something burning, wouldn't this mean that something burned ?

Customer:

Also, if I log off this work computer, can I just log back on when I get back on this site when I get home

Robert :

The cover is very obvious.

Robert :

The burning smell could just be the control on the side that burnt out OR a fan that burnt out.

Robert :

If you log off you will get a link to this in your email. It may go to the spam folder but it will show up in about 15 minutes. Sound good!

Robert :

?

Customer:

O.K.,, I'm going to head home and get to the bottom of this..

Customer:

O.K.,, does this mean I can get back on ? or not ?

Robert :

You can get back on using that link.

Robert :

I will be here for a few more hours to help you.

Robert :

Just let me know what you find.

Customer:

o.k., will do

Robert :

If you can't find the link just request App King or Robert in the body of the question.

Robert :

I will get with you.

Robert :

See you in a bit.

Robert :

Just posting to make sure you get an email.

Customer:

O.K., Robert,

Customer:

O.K., Robert, I took the back panel off,,,

Robert :

I am here.

Customer:

I took the back panel off ,, and the fan appears to be working just fine..

Robert :

What about the compressor.

Customer:

O.K.,, I took the back panel off

Customer:

o.k.,, I took the panel off and and it appears the fan is working just fine

Customer:

oh shit,, now I look like a psycho ... I couldn't see that my post was actually posting,, it just looked like it was disappearing..

Customer:

O.K.,, the fan is working

Robert :

No problem. I have seen it happen before.

Customer:

and if the compressor looks a bit like a an old spitoon ( sp ? ) wiht the fanned out lip.. then the

Customer:

compressor is warm/hot... although it doesn't feel like it is actually vibrating...

Customer:

I do keep hearing some clicking and snapping noises coming from that location, however..

Robert :

That is what I needed to know.

Robert :

The electronics on the side of the compressor are bad.

Robert :

You can fix it pretty easily.

Robert :

Let me get you the part number

Customer:

So, this doesn't mean I need a whole new compressor ?

Robert :

Just the starter on the side.

Customer:

I looked around to see if anything looke amiss ... as in anything burned,, and I couldn't see anything .. except a whole lot of dust bunnies ....

Robert :

That clicking noise is the start relay trying to start the compressor but the overload is fried. When that happens, the compressor cannot start.

Robert :

Number 10 in the pic is the overload/relay.

Customer:

Ah, o.k. so what is making the compressor warm/hot ?

Customer:

Does this piece just detach from the covered wires that it's attatched to, pretty easily or is it pretty complicated ? I'm wondering if I need to call in a favor from my ex-husband, who'

Customer:

who's a mechanical engineer, or whether it's fairly straighforward .. ?

Robert :

The starter is priming the compressor for the run cycle but it is unable to fire off. I will get you a video that shows how to replace the part. It will not be for your unit but it will be the same part.

Robert :

This is the link for the part.

Robert :

That is the link for the video.

Robert :

You will see how simple it is.

Robert :

Sound good to you?

Customer:

Really ? O.K.,, it goes without saying ... you're my hero tonight... bet you hear that a lot ...

Robert :

Not really. Thank you for saying it though.

Customer:

Will I be able to get back tpo this page so I can access this info ?

Robert :

Just use the link in your email again.

Robert :

It will always bring you back to me when I am onlin.

Robert :

online.

Customer:

That's great ... I'll get busy with this ... and put this monster back together .... and if you don't hear it a lot .. you should ... life is fragile ... one shouldn't leave things unsaid ..... because ya just never know, right ?

Robert :

Roger that. It is just a good feeling when you have helped someone who really appreciates it.

Customer:

And that I do, Robert !! g'night I'm off to hang out with the fridge .. :)

Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician