Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Magic Chef Gas Range, model# XXXXX purchased

05/18/2001. Yesterday the oven knob...
I have a Magic Chef Gas Range, model# XXXXX purchased 05/18/2001. Yesterday the oven knob seized up and I cannot get it to turn. All of the gas burner knobs work fine. It has sealed burners so I cannot open the cooktop to investigate the problem. Can you tell me why this has happened and how to remedy it?
2/7/2012
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

That is a common problem on this type of oven control. There is a spring assembly on the shaft that pops off and causes the shaft to sit in the wrong position for smooth operation.

Robert :

When this breaks inside the control then you have no choice but to replace the control.

Customer:

Understood. How do I replace the control?

Robert :

You will have to remove the burners on the cooktop and lift the top up to access the gas components. Find the temp probe in the oven and take it loose from its retainer. Note where the probe goes through the cabinet. That is where you will have to pull it through on the outside. Pull the probe through its hole and then remove the old control. Make sure you note where the wiring goes and transfer it to the new control. When you are putting the new probe into the hole to the oven, make sure not to crimp the line or it will not work correctly once installed.

Robert :

Number 3 in this pic is the control.

Robert :

74002390 is the part number for the control and it cost about 67 dollars at www.searspartsdirect.com.

Customer:

How do I take the sealed burners off? And after the burners are removed, how does the cook top get lifted?

Robert :

The sealed burners turn to the right a quarter turn and then lift off. They are very hard to get off sometime. You have to be careful not to break the ignitor when you are turning them. I use a oil filter wrench with the rubber padding on it to get them off when I am in the field. Watch this short video to see what I am talking about(ignore the brand, they are the same):

Customer:

We watched the video. We noticed that the burners were turned to the left. On our model we are to turn them to the right? Please clarify the the direction before we try with the tool. Also, does our cooktop lift the same way by removing the four screws (one at each burner). Do we just lift it straight up?

Robert :

You can turn them in either direction. Go with the direction in the video. I am going from memory so the video is probably best, lol.

Robert :

Take the screws out just like the video.

Robert :

If not, you will break some stuff and it will be expensive.

Customer:

Can we go get the tools necessary to get the burners off and continue the conversation tomorrow?

Robert :

Absolutely. Just let me know when you are ready tomorrow. I will try to be online for you.

Customer:

One last question, can the tool you recommend with rubber on it, be put over the ignitor without damaging it?

Robert :

I cut a gap out of the rubber so it is open over the ignitor OR position it so the opening is over the ignitor.

Customer:

Also, what is the procedure that we get you when we go online again?

Robert :

Just use the link in your email to get back to me. It will show up later and could go to your spam folder.

Robert :

Sound good?

Customer:

OK. Thank you.

Robert :

No problem.

Customer:

Hi Robert. I've tried a few times today to continue the conversation but you have been offline. I thought I'd let you know that we got the burners off and removed the screws but we still cannot figure out how to lift the range top to get to the thermostat. According to the picture it appears there is (are) clip(s) holding it down. Do we just force it up somehow? We don't want to damage anything so we are hesitant. Please advise.

Robert :

Do you still have the link to the video I gave you?

Robert :

There are 2 clips in between the front lip of the top and the burner knobs. You can use a putty knife to push in on those clips so that the top can be lifter easier. It should have shown you that in the video. Let me know when you are back on. I will be here for awhile.

Customer:

Hi. I watched the video a couple of times. It never shows the top being lifted off, only removing the burners and saying how important it is to remove the screws. Did that. We'll go try it now with the putty knife.

Robert :

Those clips should be visible with a flashlight in the gap above the knobs.

Customer:

Thank you. We got it up. The thermostat is to arrive tomorrow (we had it sent overnight). We anticipate installing it tomorrow and will contact you if we have any questions. Hopefully all will go well and we can conclude the matter. Thank you for all your help so far.

Robert :

No problem. It should go smoothly for you.

Customer:

Hi Robert. We were successful! We have installed the new thermostat and everything is working. Thank you for your help and your patience.

Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician