Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Dear Whirlpool Service Representative I have a Whirlpool

Customer Question
Dear Whirlpool Service Representative I have...
Dear Whirlpool Service Representative

I have a Whirlpool LA 9680 XWN 1 model washing Machine. The machine is approaching 19 years old. Three days ago I ran a load of laundry through, and when I started to take the clothes our to dry I notice the clothe were very wet. I first guess was the spin cycle did not pump out the water so I reset the dial. The clock dial had gone completely around during the washing attempt, so I don't think the problem is related to the timer. I checked in several modes of the wash cycles and quickly noticed the agitator was not turning.

When I started the load of laundry I did not note if the agitator was working, so can't say that it worked for that load of laundry. The pump does work and pumps water our, but the unit will not agitate or spin. I notice that the motor was making a strange sound, and wondered if the belt had broken. I am old enough to remember washing machines w/ belts. I come from a family that historically fixes our appliances, cars, etc. When I took the back off the washer this morning I could not find a belt, and wondered if this machine is gear driven?

There was no indication that the machine had a problem before the fateful day (Friday, February 3).

I am trying to determine what is the problem, and what is the solution. Depending on what the problem is, and the age of the unit, I am trying to determine if it is time to let the wife pick out a new unit.

I thought you Whirlpool guys waited for something to go wrong. Looks like it has.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

George M. Jett
Waldorf, MD 20603 [email protected]
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/6/2012
Appliance Technician: Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue. There are 2 belts on that washer and they are underneath the unit, it's easier getting to the belts through the front, the front panel comes off and the screws are located near the bottom, it's easier to get to the belts with the front off, once you have it off tip the unit back and you should be able to get to the unit, chances are your right and it's either a loose or broken belt.
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Tim

Thanks. I am heading down stairs to see what I can find. Maybe I did not need to take the back off. What do you think? Could have saved me some time.

George
Hold on a minute my mistake that is not the belt drive model, it has a motor coupling that goes between the motor and transmission, hold on an i will get you a break down of what look for and how to get to it. You will need to put the back panel back on.
graphic
graphic
graphic
The first thing you need to do is put the rear panel back in place, the entire cabinet comes loose to access the internal parts. The control panel is loosened and swung back there should be 1 screw on either end cap holding it in place, then there are 2 brackets that hold the cabinet to the rear panel and an electrical connector that is unplugged then the cabinet comes right off.
Then you remove the pump and motor and the motor/trans coupling is right there, it's either broken or loose.
Tim

When I turned the machine over I found what appears to be a belt. The circular object is about 1/4 " by 1/4 " (actually smaller), and about 15 inches long when stretch out broken. The object was crimped and lose around some housing object, but not broken. Maybe it is not a belt. Maybe it was some stabilizing devise for a cushion to prevent ware, or a contact object to keep the the motor/trans coupling in place.

Thoughts please?

Lunch time.

Thanks

George
That is not something from the washer I have no idea what that would be. Please look over my other posts, you will need to get inside the unit by removing the cabinet, then the pump and motor and inspect the coupling that goes between the motor and transmission.
Tim

I don't know what the belt type object is, but it was inside the housing area, and I had to break it to get it out. I will take it to a local appliance equipment store and see what they say. I also need to replace a few of the holding hardware to get the back on property.

I may be back at you, but for now, thanks. Nap time.

George
Ok thank you.
Tim

The belt type object was part of the packing material according to the sales guy at Tribbles, a local supply store for appliances. He also said if the problem was not the coupling, it might be the door switch. As a precaution I purchased the cable harness and installed it.

I broke what might be the lint washing plastic part (#24) in one of the pdf's you sent me. The plastic part is on order and should be delivered tomorrow. I would like to get the ledger for the numbers on the pdfs if possible. This will make it easier to reassemble the unit. Thanks in advance.

My brother, Pete, who is a master machanic, and has lots of experience fixing appliances and most any other thing helped me today. He tested a few things and determined the drum spins easily. Hopefully the coupling unit is not the problem.

Pete noticed that the "dogs" were worn in the agitator unit, and we replaced that unit. I wonder if that might have been the problem or the door switch harness. Any thoughts on those two potential reasons why the unit malfunctioned?

Pete and I are likely to have time on Thursday to finish the installation. I have to presentations to make on Wednesday at opposite ends of the Washington DC region.

Thanks again for your help

George
A broken agitator would not affect the spin and if the lid switch was bad it would not drain either, according to your original post it was draining so I ruled out the lid switch. I have no idea what you mean by ledger for the numbers on pdf's. If you want to look up any parts or diagrams go to sears parts direct and they have very good pics and diagrams.
Tim Alan
Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician