Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

my front loader door seems to be locked with door open.

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/6/2012
Appliance Technician: Robert, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Hello.

Do you have the model number for your unit?
Kenmore HE 110.42924.220

First I closed the door hard, then when I went to start washer the light on the wash select button just blinked. I unplugged the machine and replugged then the door would not closed as if it was locked with door open.

Shirley
You can take the bottom kick panel off of the washer and reach up into the washer on the side where the door lock is. On most units there is a small handle/tab on the bottom of the door lock that you can pull down to get it to manually release. Check the door strike also and make sure it is not broken. Let me know if you can do this.
How does the bottom kick panel come off?
Look on the botXXXXX XXXXXp of the kick panel. There will be 3-4 screws on the botXXXXX XXXXXp. Remove the screws and then push down on the panel and it will come off. This will allow you to reach up to the door lock.
Okay, once I am able to unlock the door assuming I can accomplish this task...... how can I tell if the door strike is broken?
Just look at the part on the door that goes into the door lock and see if there are any cracks or breaks on it.
I did get kick plate off and i could not unlock door. I found a small pull near door lock but it did not unlock. The door lock does not appear to have any broken or cracked areas. Now what?
Looks like you will need to replace that door lock. Would you like me to get you the part number so you can do it yourself?
But I said the door lock does not appear to be broken. And would this mean replacing the entire door lock mechanism?
t may not be visibly broken but the door lock has to have an internal problem that is preventing it from unlocking. If you pulled the lever and the door will still not close and latch properly then you will have to replace the door lock. The part number for the door lock is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
could this have occurred by closing door hard?
It could have. These door locks have had issues in the past anyways. The part number I gave you is the updated version that is made to correct those issues.
So when the door lock is not working properly you cannot start the washer period! Correct?
In most cases. I have seen the lock fail and the washer was full of water. The door pops open and the water goes everywhere. I have also seen the unit start with the door open. Most of the time you can't do anything.
So once I get this door lock, how do I do about removing the old one and installing the new one? Isn't it behind the front panel? Please describe.
The easiest way to replace the door lock is to remove the spring around the door boot and peel the door boot back where the door lock is. This will allow you to replace the lock without taking the panel apart.
What do you mean by spring around the door and pulling the door boot back?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prkM2XMoOJk

Watch that video at the link above. This is not your washer or brand but it shows how to replace the door lock the easy way. You can do it on yours also.
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician

Okay. I will check it out! Thank you!
No problem.
Robert
Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician