Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a Samsung french door fridge (rf267abrs/xaa manuf 2008),

and last week the ice...
We have a Samsung french door fridge (rf267abrs/xaa manuf 2008), and last week the ice maker stopped working. At least once an hour it starts banging, which continues every ~5 seconds for at least 10 minutes. I have cleared out the ice tray and reset using the test reset button, but it didn't correct the problem

It still dispenses water.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/4/2012
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech

hvacguy17 :

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer.

hvacguy17 :

When you press the test button, doe the icetray flip and go back level, and fill with water?

Customer:

it doesn't seem like it does anything, actually. I pulled the tray (that contains the corkscrew-looking thing) out and then tried to pull the white box inside the tray (where I think is where the ice is made). I couldn't get the white box out, as it appears to be attached by wiring in the back.

Customer:

The banging noise is definitely coming from inside that container

hvacguy17 :

Do you hear the banging noise when you are dispensing ice? or does it do it on its own?

Customer:

on it's own. It hasn't made ice since it started with the banging noise. It still dispenses water without issue, so I assume the water line is functioning properly.

Customer:

the Ice Off icon isn't lit, so i know that isnt an issue.

hvacguy17 :

Can you give me the bom number frig the data sticker in the refi section please?

hvacguy17 :

I meant frig section

Customer:

rf267abrs/xaa

Customer:

it's a french door model with the ice maker in the upper left of the fridge

hvacguy17 :

This is the icemaker you have?

hvacguy17 :

Have you felt around by the finger and make sure that a piece of ice is not stuck in ti?

Customer:

Is that the side view? It's a tiny picture.

Customer:

No I haven't...let me check

hvacguy17 :

Full Size Image

Customer:

yes that looks like the unit

Customer:

i tried to pull it out using the lever on the right, but the wiring on the left keeps it from coming all the way out

Customer:

I reached in through the opening at the top, to check for ice. something seems like it is jammed in there, but i can't tell what

Customer:

Is there a way to take it out?

hvacguy17 :

From what you are telling me, sounds like your icemaker is faulty. The part#DA97-05422A. You have to pull the side cover on the left below the icemaker to reveal the wiring harness. Then press on the tab on the front of icemaker, and drop it down. Check to see what that is that you felt. If is nothing, then replace icemaker, if there is something there, egt it out, replace, and elt it cycle. If it doesn't cycle replace it.

Customer:

ok let me see if i can get it out

hvacguy17 :

This is the top side, see how the bracket slide into place? That tab will release it to come out, one you get the wire harness free from the cover I told you about.

Customer:

does the wiring just pop out from a plug or something?

Customer:

nevermind, it does...i got it out

hvacguy17 :

The wire harness goes down and under that long cover on the left under the icemaker. There are 2 types of covers, one has a screw that holds it on. The other type has a slot it in, the you stick toothpick (or something like this) into and trip a tap, that allows you to slide the cov back and off.

Customer:

ok looking at it now...taking some cover screws off.

Customer:

ok i can't get the cover of the ice maker completely off...i'm afriad i will break the plastic cover where it attaches in the back. however, i did take three screws off and can pull it up enough to see that there is ice inside.

Customer:

i'm wondering if that ice is "too frozen" and won't release?

hvacguy17 :

Sounds like the icemaker will have to be replaced.

Customer:

is it as simple as ordering that part number and popping it in?

hvacguy17 :

yes

Customer:

i just googled the model number

hvacguy17 :

yes, the number does match. If you feel that I have assisted you in your question. Please hit the green ACCEPT button. This is the only way that I can get paid for answering your question, bonuses always welcome. Thank you!.......You can always respond back to this question if you need further assistance....:)

Customer:

Thanks for your time, you were very helpful...I'm a bit smarter now!

Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Jason
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech