Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

GE MODEL PSI23SGRBSV side by side fridge/freezer flashes "HRS"

on LCD display inside door...
GE MODEL PSI23SGRBSV side by side fridge/freezer flashes "HRS" on LCD display inside door. All other displays blank, will not respond to any attempt to program. Have read this could be a compressor trying to start, have also read this could be a mother board.
This machine was installed in 2004.
What is the problem and is it worth repairing? A board I can replace, a compressor, I don't think so.
1/18/2012
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Press all 4 temperature up and temperature down buttons for 7 seconds or until it changes. Can you get it to go to zero's? If that does not work unplug it for 10 minutes and try again. If you do get zero's return and let me know.

If you cannot get it to go to zero you will need to replace the main control board, you are correct. The part number is XXXXX and one place that has it online is just below. Or you can shop locally with that number its a factory part number.

CLICK HERE

To replace that unplug the refrigerator and remove the 8 x 10 panel on the back. Remove the connectors and replace the board. Put the connectors back they will only fit where they belong. Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part to step 2 only, all of the other steps are for other models. Plug the refrigerator in and turn it on. If it does not turn on right away, wait 40 minutes, it will be in the defrost cycle and will start.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry,
Tried pushing the 4 buttons, nothing. While tripping breakers to turn off power I killed the PC by accident, that's why it took so long to get back.
Another 3 minutes and that will make 10 since I turned it off and I'll turn it back on but somehow I'm not very hopeful.
While I was fumbling around for the breaker my wife told me the green light for the icemaker was flickering and there was a humming coming from the fridge. Could that be the compressor trying to start?
If the freezer is still cold the ice maker may have cycled, or yes it may have tried to start. No worries, I will be here until you are finished. I took a quick break.

Barry
Well, breaker back on - nothing - still flashing "hrs"
No noticeable noise although the green light on the outside door for the icemaker is pulsating, going from dim to bright about once a second.
Do you think it's the board or could it be the compressor?
I have pasted in below some other stuff I picked up. My big concern is a freezer full of food. If I wait a day for a board and then find out it's the compressor that will really ruin my day........

HRS means that the compressor can't start up for one reason or another. It will continue attempting to start the compressor every 3 minutes and eventually it will probably start up the compressor but unfortunately the compressor will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the problem to solve the issue permanently.

Read more: My GE Profile refrigerator/freezer displays a blinking HRS - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/4fjzo-ge-profile-refrigerator-freezer-displays-blinking-hrs.html#ixzz1jm49A9gx

Ok what has happened here is the unit has got stuck in the defrost cycle. The defrost cycle shuts the unit down for 15 minutes every 24 hours or so to melt the ice on the evaporator. The timer is built into the mother board in this case. Basically this means you will need to replace the mother board 801. If you have any additional questions please feel free to comment.
I have never had a problem with that error after replacing the board. If the compressor is trying to start and has failed and also if this has been going on a while it will be so hot you cannot hold your hand on it. If the dimming of the light is to be attributed to the draw of current from the compressor it will be cooking hot. So you can touch it and see. If you remove the lower rear cover on the back it looks like the black tank with tubing coming out of it.

Do you have a soldering pencil or a soldering iron?

Barry
I do have a soldering iron.
I presume you mean the compressor will be cooking hot and not the green LED.
I'll pull the unit out and pull the cover off.
By the way, I am more than satisfied and feel you are going above and beyond.
If I click accept answer does this kill our chat?
It does not, you and I are good for 30 days for the same problem.

Yes you are correct not the LED. If you can hold your hand on that compressor the cut the power. Pull the board out of the back and reheat all of the large solder joints. Do not bother with the smaller ones. If there is something bad on one of those a reheated joint is not going to repair it. I have seen a lot of bad large joints, hopefully this is the case this time.

Barry
Barry,
The compressor is cool to the touch.
There is a short whirring every second or so, sounds like a motor/compressor trying to start, and in time with that is a click coming off the control board.
I'll turn off power and try to reheat the larger solder joints.
I hope that helps, my fingers are crossed. Those are clicking relays. I am going to take another quick break.

Barry
Barry,
No good.
I'll order a board from the link you sent and see if I can pick one up locally.
There are a couple of good supply houses in Houston, maybe I'll get lucky.
Thanks for all of your help,
Dave Seiler
Hi Dave, there are a ton of places in Houston. Thats a really common part, they should all have it. Save this page to your favorites in case you need it.

Thank you for the opportunity. I really appreciate it.

Barry
Barry,
One last (I hope) question - you said the part # XXXXX XXXXX but I can't find that on the board.
There is a sticker that reads: GEA part no. 200D4852G010
It also reads: WKKT Model No. 0158-011-02

Is the WR... number you gave correct?
Yes its correct, all GE refrigerator part numbers begin with WR. Also this board is an updated board made to fit many models so it may not look the same, (it may have more relays). But the connectors will only fit where they belong, if you look at the pins and the connectors you can see where they go. Its not difficult at all. Like I said up there follow the instruction sheet that comes with it to step 2,,no further.

Barry
Great.
I'll track one down in the morning.
Food should keep at least 24 hours as long as we keep the doors closed.

Thanks again,
Dave
Your welcome, I will be around tomorrow.

Barry
Hey Barry,
Got your ears on?
I bought a new board. Step two says to cut a wire on J1 pin 2 but only if I have bottom freezer, I have side by side, or ENCODER models with serial number prefixes.
Do I cut this wire?

Dave
Hello Dave,

Check the first three in your serial number. That applies to side x sides as well. Let me know. I have the same sheet, I also would like to know how it goes as you get time.

Thanks,
Barry
So "ENCODER" is GE speak for serial number?
Almost like a secret society with these guys...
The serial number on the tag along with the PSI12SGRBSV model number is XXXXX
That is not listed on the sheet -they have LF2 but not LF4 - does that mean don't cut?
Yes LOL, its kind of like your supposed to know, leave the wire. Do not cut.

Monitor the freezer over the next 5 hours. If that refrigerator shuts off before it gets to 15 degrees let me know.

Barry

I'm on it, and I'll let you know how it comes out.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be nearby.

Barry
Barry,
That got it.
All back together and purring like a kitten.
If it shuts off early I'll let you know.

Thanks!
Dave
Great, really watch that freezer. If it makes it down to temperature once it will be just fine and there will be nothing else to worry about. That could take about 5 hours Dave, the fresh food side will be much slower. The most important part is the freezer.

Thank you for the opportunity.
Barry
Barry,
Just to close this out, everything appears to be fine.
The first night the freezer went straight down to the set point of zero and the fridge to it's set point of 37, but when I went to bed the freezer had gone back up to 10 and the fridge 40. After tossing part of the night, when I got up the next morning they were both back at zero and 37 and since then the fridge has been within 1 degree of 37 and the freezer goes between zero and +3.
I never paid a lot of attention to these numbers in the past and am hoping that this slight variance is normal?
Again, thanks for all of your help.
Dave
Hi Dave, I am glad to hear everything is working well. To answer your question yes that is normal. There is a defrost cycle and during that period of time your unit will warm some. But most always if you look at it then it should be near the factory settings. There is going to be some variance too. There are sensors in there that change resistance as the unit cools and warms. Then the board picks that change up and controls the refrigerator accordingly. Its not perfect but its fairly close. You can expect to see a difference here and there with those things going on. If your really concerned see if you can hold your hand on the compressor after its been running for 10 or 15 minutes. Thats the number one most easy way to tell. Too hot to hold your hand on (the top) means start looking for a place to put the food. Uncomfortable is ok.

You are very welcome. I hope that if you have an appliance problem in the future you would give us a shout.

Have a great weekend,
Barry