Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My freezer is frosting and the outlet into the refrigerator

My freezer is frosting and the outlet into the refrigerator is dripping water. The freezer control is locked on setting #3. This refrigerator is only 2 yrs old. model MITXEMMWW02
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you recheck that model number?it's not coming up. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
M1TXEMMWW02
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay that works, did you say you not able to control the settings at all at this point?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The refrigerator control works but the freezer control is stuck @ the recommended #3
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay the reason why that is stuck is because it's controlled by a Rod that goes to the damper assembly the damper assembly is number 26 and the plastic Rod but the flap is number 29, this most likely froze when the water leaked down in there and froze up the flap, is the refrigerator cooling again now or is it defrosting completely? Here's the diagram,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The refrigerator is barely keeping things cold set @#5, frost and water drip into the refrigerator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay if you open the freezer do you see any Frost on the back wall inside there behind the food? Can you tell if the compressor is running? You can pull a refrigerator away from the wall and take the cover off that covers the compressor and feel it, is it warm hot or cold? Does it feel like it's vibrating? Is the fan in the freezer running? Sorry for all the questions we like to try to get all the info we can before making a diagnostic determination.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a little frost in the back of the refrigerator, the port going down into the refrigerator has ice around it. I can feel wind blowing at the bottom rear of the refrigerator and it is humming but the fan in the freezer is not running.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, what you will need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer section behind the food and check the fan to start with, the fan may have ice around and they have stopped which is going to make everything get warmer, can you do that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes I will try

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan is not running, but I can turn it easily with my finger
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so it's not stopped by the ice then, is there a lot of Frost on the coils? Is it completely clogged up with Frost or is a relatively clear with a very light frosting on all the coils? Also do you have a voltmeter? Would you be a lot check voltage to the fan?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am going to call a repair man, I thought this might be simple but it is beyond me thank you for the help
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay I wish you the best and I tried, thanks and have a great day, Bryan