Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile XL1800 Model JVM1861SD001 that has stop

functioning. It is making...
I have a GE Profile XL1800 Model JVM1861SD001 that has stop functioning. It is making a strange buzzing sound coming from behind the control panel any time a button is pushed or the door is opened. It will not microwave. Can it be saved?
1/17/2012
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does there sound like theres a fan running ? When you start this ? Or are you able to set the controls at all?

Yes, the exhaust fan does start to operate. The noise I am referring to is louder than the fan and seems to be coming from behind the control panel. The buttons do operate and you can input data and initiate the START. However, it will not heat anything.
Okay that's not a good sign what you are hearing is the high-voltage transformer or the magnetron itself has failed, when they fail you can hear a buzz like it's trying to run but it's not heating, this can be more money to be honest with you then replacing the microwave the average cost for a magnetron is around $150.00 plus labor and the transformer is even more than that, so you're probably looking at least mid-$250 range to repair this unit I would at this point recommend replacing the unit. I hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician