How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Your Own Question
Jon, Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 3627
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Jon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The filter cartridge in our GE Monogram side-by-side refrigerator

Customer Question

The filter cartridge in our GE Monogram side-by-side refrigerator broke and flooded our kitchen. Can we somehow disconnect the water supply to the unit so that we can turn the water back on? XXXXX XXXXX ([email protected]) (phone-XXX-XXX-XXXX)
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 5 years ago.

Jon Grella : Hello
Jon Grella : My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized ge service tech and I can help you today
Jon Grella : Ge makes a cartridge you can install in the filter area to bypass the filter if you don't have one. This will allow you to use the water with out a filter.
Jon Grella : Did you turn the water off to the whole house?
Jon Grella : When the ref flooded did you turn the water supply off to the whole house or did you just turn the water supply line to the ref off?
Jon Grella : There should be a shut off valve located either behind or above your machine. This way you can shut off the water to the ref and not to the whole house. The locating to the water shut off to the ref would be specific to your ref. so to determine where it is I would need your help.
Jon Grella : Please get back to me so that I can help you further.

I turned the water off to the entire house. I have opened the top of the unit but cannot locate the water shut off valve. The model no. is Z1SS420DMASS.. The s.n. is ZA038577. The shut off must be in back of the unit, and I cannot move it. Is ther anything that I can do to restore water to the house and avoid a flood?


I need further information.

Jon and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Jon replied 5 years ago.
The water shut off to the machine can and is most likely running through the floor since this is a cabinet depth machine and is real hard to move.

If you have a basement, it is most likely in the ceiling. I would go to the basement and pinpoint where the ref would be located above you. Then if you have an unfinished ceiling in the basement, you could just look for the copper or plastic tubing that is the water line that is running from your machine. Then once found, trace the line back to where the shut off valve is.It is usually a copper line and will have a little thin line running to the valve. Just locate the valve and turn it off. Then turn on the main water supply to the whole house and check to make sure that the ref is not still leaking.

If you have a finished basement or no basement at all, it will be difficult to find the shut off valve to the ref with out being there to see the installation of the line. All I Can say here is that if there is no basement and the line doesn't run through the floor, it usually runs to the sink in the kitchen" and is usually hooked up the cold water line index the sink.

If that doesn't help you enough then I would call in an appliance service tech to help you further.

Please get back to me if you need anything else.