How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelly Your Own Question
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 21922
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Kelly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a GE microwave that keeps blowing the fuse where the

Resolved Question:

I have a GE microwave that keeps blowing the fuse where the power chord comes in the back. It starts and runs for a couple of seconds just fine and then sounds like it is bogging down and blows the fuse.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. This indicates an issue with the high voltage components, likely the transformer. Is there any odor present, like a burning electrical smell?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not that is noticable.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Okay, well either the transformer or magnetron is causing your issue. With no smell, I suspect the magnetron. I am happy to give you repair information, but will have you read the following first so you can make an informed decision!



The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.


The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.






Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.




Clicking the "ACCEPT" button will NOT close this question. Once you accept, you may refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved!


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will I be able to get the part or will it be cheaper to buy a new microwave
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
The magnetron will run about $150 or so and I always recommend replacing the rectifier diode with it, so you will have about $200 or so in to it. If it is more than about 6 years old, you may consider replacing it.
Kelly and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions