Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE Monogram refrigerator not cooling

Customer Question
Customer: My GE Monogram refrigerator stopped...

Customer:

My GE Monogram refrigerator stopped working suddenly. The lights are working but not the cooling system. I already took off the water filter. Turned the breaker and ice-maker switch on and off, adjusted the temperature controls. It makes sound like it is working but then the temperature remains at 59F on both sides.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
12/12/2011
Appliance Technician: Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech replied 6 years ago
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech

Expert:

Welcome to JustAnswer.

If it does have power, then go around back and remove the rear bottom panel. Check if the compressor (Black tank) is not too hot to touch and the fan next to it, is running. If it is hot, then you have a sealed system problem (faulty compressor, blocked coils etc.) which is an expensive fix. The compressor must be running, for the fridge to cool. This is the first thing to check.

Customer:

This model has an overhead compartment. The compressor is there, and it is not hot, also it is not vibrating but something is running, like a fan, condenser or something else. For once I just shut the fridge door switch, a fan like mechanism goes on.

Expert:

This means either you do not have power to the compressor. Or, the compressor relay is faulty. You would first need to test for power at the compressor. If no power, then you have a faulty main computer. Can you feel the compressor running(vibrating)? What is the exact model number?

Customer:

I had a technician come in today and he found that the control board which connects to the compressor was faulty and needed to be replaced at a cost of $395 for the part plus labor cost. Is this a fair price on a 2006 built GE Monogram? The model number is Z I S 4 2 0 N R I .

CLICK HERE FOR PART

Like I said it’s not really a difficult task. Unplug and swap the board out. The wire connections cannot be mixed up. Simply plug and play basically. Board is #703.

graphic

Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal