Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  Install, repair and trouble shoot
26609390

Hi, Just tried to start a load in the dryer, and the knob

Just tried to start a load in the dryer, and the knob came off in my hand when I tried to pull it to start it. Is it easy to fix?

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Have you tried to push it back on? If you did, does it now fit real loose??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It slides back on, and turns...but when I pull to start the dryer at the setting i want, it just slides back off.

When you put it back on is the knob just kind of loose? Do you have a pair of pliars so you can pull the stem out to start the dryer?

I want to know if it slides in and out as it should or if its sticking.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It will turn, but not pull out even with pliers

Ok, thats why the knob came off. You dont need a knob, you need a new knob assymbley. This is a combo switch that works both the timer and the starting of the machine.

You need to have this replaced. How old is the machine??

Charles

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At least 12 years old. Looked old when bought the house, and have lived here 12 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At least 12 years old. Looked old when bought the house, and have lived here 12 years How much is this going to cost?

Lets put it this way, you looking at around a $225 to $275 repair. Lowes has a washer on sale right now for $350.00

With the washer that old, I would suggest getting a new washer rather than repair the old one. if you repair the old one, your going to spend $250 to repair it and still have a 12 year old washer thts going to break again sooner rather than later.

I hope this helps answer your question, if so please click the green accept button, if not im still here to assist you.

thanks again,

Charles