gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

I have a GE dryer that when drying clothes and you open the

I have a GE dryer that when drying clothes and you open the door to check on the clothes the heating element in the back does not go off but the blower motor does. If you turn the timer to off the elements will go out. I have checked the element for shorts, grounds, opens etc. I do not have a wiring schematic for the machine but when the door is open the light will work inside the machine. Is there an end switch on the motor or thermostat to check and how do I do it. I have the drum pulled.

gst85 :

hi based on what you have stated the problem is going to be the timer that is faukty

gst85 :

faulty

Customer:

When i turn the dryer off at the timer it shuts the element off. How is the timer bad?

gst85 :

the problem is that there is a faulty contact point in the timer that is causing the element to stay on

Customer:

I am curious when you open the door how does the timer know this and shut the element off? So if I replace the timer it will fix it? What is the approximate cost of a timer

gst85 :

correct,remember that the timer is basically the brain it controls the entire system.would you like a part number as well?

Customer:

sure. It would be great if i could get a schematic also.

Customer:

Thans

gst85 :

$90.06

Dryer timer

Manufacturer Number WE4M189.you can pull up a diagram for this model at www,sears parts direct.com

gst85 :

your welcome.

gst85 :

if i have been helpfull pressing accept is how i get paid

Customer:

I hope you are right, i dont want to spend money on something that is not right. I wish I would have talked to you earlier before i pulled the drum. it would have been a lot easier

gst85 :

this is what i do for a living

Customer:

Great thanks