Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have a Bosch Electronic Double Oven Model HBN3550UC/03 showing…

Customer Question
Have a Bosch Electronic Double...
Have a Bosch Electronic Double Oven Model HBN3550UC/03 showing error code E1 18. It will heat for about 3 minutes, then throw the error code and turn off the heating element and continue to run the fan. Probably either the computer circuit board or a heat sensor of some kind. Happens to both upper and lower oven. How do i get to the boards, and how can I find out if they're bad
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/27/2011
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

E118 means there is a communication error between your display board and your control board. You will need to replace the display board in order to fix the issue because as the oven is running through it's heating sequence it is not able to communicate with the touchpad or relay control board correctly so it's giving an error.

How do I get to the display board
The oven needs to be uninstalled and there are screws coming in from the sides and the bottom, then the control panel pulls off to access the display board.
The control panel is at the top with the knobs and digital displays, correct? and the screws you mention are at the top and sides and bottom of the panel over the upper oven? Is the control board labled as such? How do I tell the difference between the two(control and display)?
Yes the control panel is the part above the ovens. The display board is the board I'm talking about that you need to replace, it's obviously the one that has the digital display on it. There is a "relay control board" back in the oven much further but it has no display on it, just a bunch of wires connecting to it.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
I disassembled the oven and there was a pack of service info above the display area. The info said that error code E118 indicated a problem with the fan, "circulating fan running too slow or too fast". I have already ordered the display board and had it overnighted from Dallas. Hope it fixes the problem, but if not should I replace the fan? Looks like it would be a fairly simple job with a couple of screws in the back of the upper oven.
um, that's interesting because I looked up the manual directly from Bosch on their servicer site and it said the display boad had a communication error. The paperwork inside the oven is always more accurate, but I'm guessing the website may be wrong (I've seen that several times before but not all that often). I'd assume your cooling fan behind the oven is likely going to be bad and not spinning fast enough so you might just replace the cooling fan and send bad the display board I'm afraid to say.

I replaced the cooling fan and it has worked fine for a week, so I guess it's fixed. The Apdepot,com will accept a return on the display.
awesome, well I'm glad you got the oven working one way or another.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc