How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Your Own Question
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 410
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Jason is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our ice maker is leaking-there is a hole in the plastic hose

This answer was rated:

Our ice maker is leaking-there is a hole in the plastic hose under the ice drawer. We want to turn off the ice maker. How do we do it?
Is this a bottom freezer or a side by side? Do you have the model number? How old is the unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX It is a bottom freezer. It is probably around fifteen or more years old.
IF you want to stop the ice maker from running, remove the bin that holds the ice. This bin makes contact with a switch in back that tells the ice maker it can run because there is a bin to catch the ice. If the bin is removed, the switch will not be activated and the ice maker will not run.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We did this. But the water is still leaking from the tube supplying the ice maker. We have collected at least a cup of water in the last fifteen minutes or so.
OK, that means the valve on the refrigerator is stuck open allowing the water. You will need to shut the water supply to the refrigerator off. You will have to find where the water line that supplies the fridge is. Shutting the ice maker off will not stop the water.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any idea how we would find this water line? Does it necessitate pulling out the refrigerator?
Do you have a basement?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The kitchen is above a finished downstairs area.
OK, if you remove the bottom panel that covers the very bottom of the refrigerator, you will see a copper tube that supplies your water. You will have to trace this to see where it goes. Normally, this line gets tapped into a main water line, and if you have a basement, this is usually where it is tapped. You are going to have to find the valve. In the meantime, shut water off at the main. This will stop the water to your house until you can find the valve for the refrigerator.
Jason and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you