Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Our ice maker is leaking-there is a hole in the plastic hose

under the ice drawer....
Our ice maker is leaking-there is a hole in the plastic hose under the ice drawer. We want to turn off the ice maker. How do we do it?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2011
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Is this a bottom freezer or a side by side? Do you have the model number? How old is the unit?
The model number is XXXXX It is a bottom freezer. It is probably around fifteen or more years old.
IF you want to stop the ice maker from running, remove the bin that holds the ice. This bin makes contact with a switch in back that tells the ice maker it can run because there is a bin to catch the ice. If the bin is removed, the switch will not be activated and the ice maker will not run.
We did this. But the water is still leaking from the tube supplying the ice maker. We have collected at least a cup of water in the last fifteen minutes or so.
OK, that means the valve on the refrigerator is stuck open allowing the water. You will need to shut the water supply to the refrigerator off. You will have to find where the water line that supplies the fridge is. Shutting the ice maker off will not stop the water.
Do you have any idea how we would find this water line? Does it necessitate pulling out the refrigerator?
Do you have a basement?
The kitchen is above a finished downstairs area.
OK, if you remove the bottom panel that covers the very bottom of the refrigerator, you will see a copper tube that supplies your water. You will have to trace this to see where it goes. Normally, this line gets tapped into a main water line, and if you have a basement, this is usually where it is tapped. You are going to have to find the valve. In the meantime, shut water off at the main. This will stop the water to your house until you can find the valve for the refrigerator.
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician