How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, restaurant equipment technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2136
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi There I have just purchased a very old retro Sunbeam

Resolved Question:

Hi There

I have just purchased a very old retro Sunbeam mixmaster from an old lady. It is in perfect working order and looks marvellous. My daughter loves old gadgets so it is for her. I'm thinking it would be maybe 50 years old.

The beaters are a little rusty and need buffing up or ideally I would like to purchase new ones for it.

The model is A-9B-B

Have you any idea who may still have these old beaters in stock in Australia? If not how do you suggest I get the rust off?

I would be very grateful for a response.
Many thanks and regards
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

It's unlikely that you'll find a new set of beaters. The safest and easiest way to remove the rust it to apply a coat of naval jelly, let it soak for a couple of hours, and wash the beaters in hot water to remove it. If the rust coat is heavy, repeat the process. You can use an old tooth brush to remove the rust in hard to reach spots.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi John


Thankyou for the reply.


I'm sure it is most unlikely I'll find new beaters but do you have any suggestions where I might start trying to find some?


I've never heard of naval jelly - where do you buy it?

many thanks


Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
I'd start with the company's customer service department at Naval jelly is a pink liquid formulated specifically for rust removal on ship hulls. You can purchase it at any good hardware store.
John and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions