Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My frigidaire stackable washer/dryer unit is having a problem.

Customer Question
Dryer is good. WASHER WONnt...
My frigidaire stackable washer/dryer unit is having a problem. Dryer is good. WASHER WONnt start, wont do anything. Do they have an internal fuse, or, where should I start looking for a problem?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2011
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

Can i have the model # XXXXX

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
ok i am getting it. thank you!
FLSE 72GCSA
Appliance Technician: Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech replied 6 years ago
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Thank You for your question..Glad to help you today...So the washer does not work at all..?( Fill with water Etc.) Did this happen all of a sudden..?
Yes thank you for replying!!! It happened all of a sudden. Pulled out the knob to start washer and nothing happened, no problems leading up to it. Does not fill, does not even click like it is getting the message that I pulled the knob.
In other words, NOTHING at all happens. As I mentioned, dryer is working fine. Behind panel, there are no wires that are obviously burned or disconnected. Thank you. I'm anxiously awaiting your answer. :):)
Ok great ..Thanks for making that clear..The most common problem on this unit is a faulty electrical connection..There are two leads of power into this unit...One side of the power is for the dryer..The other is for the washer itself..What you would need to do first is to have the outlet the unit is plugged into tested first...Making sure you have full 220 volts of power.From there check power through the power cord to the unit at the back terminal block..The terminal block is where the cord connects to the unit...I have also seen where the cord has come loose at that location...Thanks Bob
Check it with a tool? Which tool do you use for that?
You need a electrical test meter...You are testing the outlet for 220 volts..

CLICK HERE
About 95% of the time when we go out on service calls for this very problem on this unit it does turn out to be power supply problem..More so if the washer just stops ..Does not fill Etc...HAve the power tested and you will be back up and running..If not please post back...Also for my time helping you today..Once you use the accept option on your screen please stop by and leave some feedback..Thanks Bob

Correct me if I'm wrong here, and actually I just looked so I dont think I am. There is only one plug for the washer/dryer unit. So, if the dryer is working, the problem is not in the cord.

I will be glad to hit accept, once I know how to fix the problem. I am the one testing the power supply, and I will be the one doing the repair, so, narrowing the problem down to that doesn't get me to where I need to be. :)

I am in the process of pulling the unit out of the hellaciously small nook that it's in so that I can test the power cord. Where do I go from there>

Yes one cord for the unit..One side has power to the dryer..The other power to the washer..Remember you are dealing with 220volts..Very dangerous if you don not have the experience working with such power...If you take the front panel off that goes in between the dryer and the washer..You can access the power cord terminal block..no need to pull the unit out..

All instructions I can find on how to test the terminal block are from the back. I understand that if I become a ground, I'm going to zap myself, so, yes, I understand the necessity of care. BUT, how can I test the terminal block from the front, through the removed panel.

I know that it can be dangerous, but I need detailed instructions to guide me if I'm going to be able to diagnose, let alone FIX, the problem. Thank you :)

Annnnd, ok. The terminal block is not giving any reading. The outlet and cord are definitely good because it shocked me. Sooo what now? What does that mean?

You have 120 volts on each side of the cord at the terminal block..?
Yes. And, the pull out start switch also is getting power.

How can I test the switch itself? It is getting current.

Rotate the timer to the spin cycle..See if it will drain and spin..If not..There is no real way to test the timer itself..You will need to replace it.That is if you do have power to it.
Ok. Switch seems to be visibly working. What about the lid lock fuse? Any chance it could be that? And/or motor overload short?
So the washer did spin..?
No spin, no nothing. But, it won't spin with the lid up, so does that exclude lid switch? Also read that motor overload will kill the whole thing, but it seems that something else would have caused that anyway, so that's where I'm at now.
The washer drum is empty..?..IF the washer does not fill..Then check your water supply..Also o set the washer to fill..Then check power at the water valve..The water valve is where you connect the hoses to...IIF the timer is not faulty..Then you should be able to read power at the water valve....No the washer will not spin unless the lid is closed..If you close the lid..And set the washer timer to spin..The lid should lock..If not..And you have power to the timer..Then replace the timer..This is all based on what you are telling me..Thanks Bob

Please accept my answer for my time helping you on your question today or let me know if you have any further questions..Thanks Bob

Ok Bob. I do so appreciate your time, and I have located and fixed the problem. The metal arm and the plastic arm of the lid switch plunger had seperated, therefore, when the lid closed, it wasn't fully engaging the lid lock switch. ALL power connections, all switches are good. I rejoined the arms of the switch, and the unit is reassembled and back in working order.

So, I am out for the money for the voltage tool, which didn't help, and though I even asked you repeatedly about the lid switch, you did not address that. And, you told me to install a new timer.

I understand that you get paid for your time, but, if I had gone by your advice, I would have spent way more money than I needed to, and the washer still wouldn't work. Thankfully, I was also researching heavily as I went. So, you tell me. Do you think the $30 was earned?

I was going by what you were telling me..I did show you how to verify that the unit was getting power..With a faulty lid switch the washer should still fill with water..Has nothing to do with the lid switch..You stated the water was dead..Did nothing..If you open the lid..Set the timer to start..The washer will fill..You stated it was dead "The terminal block is not giving any reading"..."In other words, NOTHING at all happens

If you would have stated the washer filled then nothing,..i would have told you the lid switch is the problem,,,Just going by what information you provided "..
The washer drum is empty..?..IF the washer does not fill..Then check your water supply..Also o set the washer to fill..Then check power at the water valve..The water valve is where you connect the hoses to...IF the timer is not faulty..Then you should be able to read power at the water valve"......Thanks Bob

I see your point where I said "no reading at the terminal block" but IF the switch has power, then obviously terminal block is not the problem.

THE WASHER WOULD NOT FILL. NOTHING was happening, that is correct. No fill, no nothing. Are you aware that on this Frigidaire model, if the lid switch is broken, the washer will not fill? Because, that is the case. Normally, yes, the washer will fill with the lid up, but if the lock switch is broken, it will not fill, spin, or anything. I found that on a message board on the internet, and that is what led to find the problem. Also, the post said that when you engage the lid lick switch manually, you should hear a small click. I had no click.

Were you aware of this? That the washer wont fill with a broken lid lock switch?

You Stated.."Annnnd, ok. The terminal block is not giving any reading.".........

That is because it was not tested properly..The lid switch has nothing to do with the fill cycle unfortunately..It controls the drain and spin cycle..

Yes I am aware that I wasn't testing the terminal block correctly.

MY lid switch was preventing MY washer from filling, whether or not you think this is possibe. I never would have even known what it was if I hadn't read what it was on a checklist of Things To Check If Your Frigidaire Washer Won't Do ANYTHING. On this washer, the lid switch will prevent the tub from filling if it is broken.