Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Frigidaire Affinity Front load washer about 3 years

Customer Question
old which had light use...
I have a Frigidaire Affinity Front load washer about 3 years old which had light use since it was new. Something is broken or failed in the hinge causing the latch on the door to strike the latch on the body about a half inch too low. Lifting the door will still allow it to latch. The problem seems to be inside the hinge of the door, and there are no obvious adjustments possible. What do you recommend?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2011
Appliance Technician: Jason, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
There is a shim kit that you can get to fix this, it is a know problem. Give me a couple of minutes and I can get you the part number. The kit will come with some shims to adjust the door and instruction sheet on how to do the repair.

That sounds hopeful, Jason, let's proceed.

Jeff

Just checked the Serial # XXXXX

This additional information may help

Electrolux

Model ATF8000FSI

Serial XC83209582

Hope that helps

I am still looking, just a couple more minutes

No rush, I sent you the serial and model #

since ATF8000 doesn't sound like Affinitly 700 that I told you at the start

but maybe they are all the same defective door engineering?

OK, I was mistaken, the kit is for the dryer. The washer has the same issue as the dryer but they have not put out a fix for it. Try opening the door all the way, loosen the screws that hold the hinge to the panel, pull up on the door then Titan the screws. Let me know if that has any effect.

Hi Jason

I had already loosened, moved and retightened all the screws around the hinge.

The door has about a 1/2" of travel up and down the hinge pin and it only aligns correctly when it is at the top, but nothing I have tried to put in at the bottom as a shim will stay in place. Just tried it all again, no luck.

Any more ideas?

The only thing I can think of is a bent hinge, but I am not sure if that will fix it. I have heard of this issue before and people have replaced the hinge, whole front panel, and rebuilt the door with no luck. It is one of those things where you will have to replace one part at a time to fix. I would try the hinge to see if this takes care of it.

Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician