Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

the refrigerator and freezer does not get cold but it runs

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/7/2011
Appliance Technician: Jason, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Do you have any frost on the back wall of the freezer?
no

If you touch the wall between the freezer and refrigerator, is it hot?

I had the unit shut off. I just turned it on. How long do I need to wait to see if it is hot?
It would take about 2 to 3 hours? How did the servicer determine the condenser was bad? I know you said he took no readings, but did he explain anything to you?
He said that in shipping the units sometimes were tilted too much and that caused the problem. I find it hard to believe because the unit is 7 years old and worked fine until this year. He said it needs a new condenser.
Yes, that doesn't make sense to me either. Can you hear the fan running inside the freezer?
Yes - warm air
IF you are not getting any cooling at all in there, then it is possible that the compressor has failed. If the unit gets hot in the wall between the refrigerator and freezer, I would say that you need a condenser fan, but if that does not get hot, you might need a compressor.
I am not satisfied with the service co andswer. I dont know what to do . You have not helped much.
Well, I need to wait and see if the wall gets hot, but if it is a compressor issue, you will need an servicer to repair, you have to be licensed be the EPA to repair anything that has refrigerant in it.
Service co said I need a new condenser. They took no readings or pressures. Condenser covered under warranty labor is not and is $800. Do you think they know what they are doing?
Is this a viking authorized servicer? A condenser does not go bad, unless it has a hole in it that can leak refrigerant. I would suspect a compressor and not a condenser. Call Viking to get an authorized repair service.
sorry. they want to replace the evaporator and the filter
OK, that is pretty common to get a leak in that part. The metal that it is made from is fragile and I have seen instances in the past where you can develop a pin hole leak in the evaporator. IF you he looked in the freezer and saw frost gathered in one spot, that can indicate a leak. Also, the filter is replaced any time any part of the sealed system is replaced. The sealed system consists of the evaporator, condenser, and compressor.
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician