Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We just went through a snow storm as a result of which we lost

Customer Question
power. After the power got...
We just went through a snow storm as a result of which we lost power. After the power got restored we realized that our fridge (Whirlpool gs6nbexrs01) does not work anymore. I checked quickly the compressor by touch and seems to be worm but not hot. The icemaker does not make ice anymore and there is water where theice should be. I am wondering how I can troubleshoot where the problem is. Is it possible that refridgereant leaked out? Is it something else? Can I fix it myself? Should I call a technician?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/5/2011
Appliance Technician: Jason, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Do you see any frost on the back wall of the freezer?

There is some at the back wall in the bottom

OK, you should see none. If frost builds up, it blocks circulation of the air causing the unit to warm up. Considering you had a power outage, I would say you need the control board. Boards are often damaged from power failures. The control board controls the defrost cycle so that is what I would replace.
The board is in the back by the compressor. You can order it at the following link.

http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2010568

After replacing the part, turn the unit off for 24 hours to defrost it.

Ok, I got it. I'll order the part per your recommendation. Now I would like to ask a what-if question. What should I look at next if this is not it?

If this is not it, you would want to look at the defrost heater and thermostat.
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Thank you for now. Am I going to be able to contact you after I replace the controller board?
Yes

Jason,

Just installed the new control board and nothing has changed. In one of your responses you suggested to look at either defrost heater or a thermostat. First of all refridgerator is pretty warm inside. The temp is around 60F and the freezed is cold at the bottom and warm on top. I am wondering how the defrost heater may affect both. On the other hand the thermostat is a part of the icemaker. How does that affect the refridgerator?

Is the fan running inside of the freezer?

How do I check that. When I open the freezer or fridge i can hear some buzzing but I am not sure how to verify whether or not the fan is running. I know that the fan in the back of the fridge - the one close to the control box is running. Do you know how to quickly verify the operation of the fan?

If you open the freezer door you should hear a fan. You should also feel air flowing into the refrigerator. At the top of the refrigerator on the wall between the fridge and freezer there is a damper where air passes from the freezer to the refrigerator. It should have a little grill on it. Do you feel air coming through it?
No air flow through the damper.
OK, then it appears that the fan is not turning. You would have to remove the back wall of the freezer to confirm.

I just did. It does not work. I removed the panel as you suggested and bingo. Now, is this it?

Should be. Hold on and I will get the part number for you.
Here is the part number 2315549
Thank you. Now let me play devil's advocate again. Is this all that causes the problem? Is there anything else that might not be working?
The only other thing that would stop the fan is the board you already replaced.
OK. Thank you for your help. I'll order the part right away and let's hope I don't have to bother you again :). Thank you again.
Your welcome.
Jason
Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician