Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi We have a Kenmore Elite Smartwash QuietPak9 washer model

Customer Question

Hi We have a Kenmore Elite Smartwash QuietPak9 washer model # XXXXX -- this machine works great as long as outside temps are above 50 --it is located inside and if outside temps drop lower than 50 it will wash partial then go into error -- sometimes it will respond to restarting other times it won't -- last winter many restarts all summer great -- temps dropping now and the error is back -- can water temp going into machine have an effect and is there a sensor that checks water temp code that shows is f 06
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

heres the error meaning,

F/06

Drive Motor Tachometer Error

The control is unable to properly detect motor speed and the machine will shut down. If a failure occurs during high-speed spin, the door will be unlocked after 3 minutes.

sounds like when it gets colder one of you connections may be having an issue, here the recommended proceeder.

• Check wire harness connections between the Drive Motor/Tachometer and the Motor Control Unit (MCU), and between the MCU and the Central Control Unit (CCU)
  • Check the Drive Motor
  • Check the MCU
  • Check the Wire Harness
  • check all your wiring plugs first.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    why would temp affect it
    Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

is this in a room where the temps change a lot ? like in a garage or laundry room that the temp changes ? I'm going by the tech sheets, and thats the error. maybe moisture causing an issue,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    moisture could be -- in the form of condinsation but motor heat ( i would think would eliminate that unless sensors are aways a way from motor -- Im a master electrician with control and computer controled systems experiance and this one has me baffeled -- I'm not sure but you may be on to something with the moisture thing not sure how to check - we live in the northwest and humidity is always above 40 and mostly in the 70 plus range
    Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
    well if there was moisture in the connectors change in temps it could affect the wiring harness plugs, they can expand or contract and thats causing them to lose continuity, with these being sensitive electronics it doesn't take much.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    can I do some checking and come back to you on this -- or do I get some one else -- new to this site dont know all the ins and outs -- You know your stuff and I like that -- also do I just brail for senors and wiring or do you have a location they might be --- thanks Dan
    Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
    ya you can come back and any reply will come directly to me. some of the wiring harness is right under the top, and some are in the bottom, heres all the diagrams , http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-11045081401/0583/0153200?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=11045081401 just click the blue link, specifically check theses controls, the motor control unit, bottom back, drive motor. the CCU central control unit. and the harness between them all.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thanks Bryan -- will check things out and let you know what I find -- Thanks for the help - will take me awhile to look into all this --- Dan
    Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay Dan, let me know what you find, thanks ,Bryan