Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 GE monogram side by side 42 refridge, ZIS42NCA.

Customer Question
Can't get fridge side down...
I have a 2001 GE monogram side by side 42 refridge, ZIS42NCA. Can't get fridge side down below 45 degrees. Freezer working fine. Here is what I have done;

1.) removed fridge damper and operated without it, still won't get cold. Some ise build up at opening which I removed.
2.) disconnected (at switch only) the defrost system
3.) opened up and checked freezer side; fan blowing, evaporator feels cold.
4.) It does not seem to be getting good cold airflow from freezer side to fridge through damper slot.

Thanks

Tom
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/1/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

in the freezer behind your food is there frost on the panel?

No frost build up at all in the freezer

did you remove the panel inside the freezer and check the coils and the air returns ? if the returns are blocked

the air wont flow.

I have not removed the "ceiling" panel of the freezer that would expose the coils but I can do that tonight. Looking up into the return and supply they appear to be open but your are right, they could be clogged out of my site.

I will open it up and check. Can this case be kept open for a couple days until see if this does the trick?

Tom
sure . just don't close the question and it will stay open, these do get clogged, let me know what you find, thanks Bryan
Good morning

I removed the panel, coils are cold, clean and generally ice free. No blockage in the return. Is there a chance the defrost system is stuck on? I disconnected the switch lead in the fridge but not sure if that disabled it or not.

Any ideas?

Tom
can you tell if the compressor is running ? if this was stuck in defrost the fans and the compressor wouldn't be running, was there no frost on the coils at all ? there should be a light frosting on all the coils inside the freezer.
Yes, compressor runs and circulation fans starts when required. No real frosting of the coil fins, maybe a light film of frost. Is there a chance the refrigeration charge is low?
thats what I'm thinking is a sealed system issue, are all the coils lightly frosted? do they stay frosted or do they defrost while its running ?
They seem to be very lightly frosted. Still retain the Aluminum fin color, not frost white. I can watch it more closely tonight.
okay .
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician