John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

my GE Model GSL25JFPD BS fridge water dispenser has stopped

Customer Question

my GE Model GSL25JFPD BS fridge water dispenser has stopped working. What do I look for to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Barry and thank you for choosing our service.

Behind the kick panel is a water line connector. Push the white ring in while pushing the line at the same time. Then pull the line out. Get a towel and then see if you can get water to run out of it by pressing for water at the dispenser. Take your time and let me know. That line is not pressurized until you tap the dispenser.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
pulled line connector off each side of line and then off both lines at same time. "called" for water each time.
there is no water in either line.
rechecked back side connections. all appears to be okay...no kinks etc.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Look behind the crisper drawers, there is either some tubing or some tubing going to a tank behind those drawers. If you bend that tubing around a little can you hear it crack like there is ice in it?

Also does the dispenser dispense ice?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. think i found the problem. surprised it hadn't shown up earlier.
there is a large (approx. 0.25" white line exiting the back of the fridge just below the light that re-enters the bottom of the fridge. the line is too long and had kinked so much that it appears to be closed. the two clear lines (approx. 0.125") exiting the bottom of the fridge (and at about the same spot the white line enters) and going up to the ice dispenser and water appear to be clear and free of ice.

can the white line be replaced easily?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
That connector you looked at earlier behind the kick panel is that the same size line there at that point? If so is there enough line on both sides of the kink to install a connector like that one?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry. had to go pickup my grandson from the sitter.
No. It is a different line (as near as I can tell) the line inside the fridge is a white 0.25" line that exits the back and enters the bottom [held in place (?)] by a "J" shaped connector attached to the bottom of the fridge. The line under the fridge that goes into the line connector is/appears to be a clear 0.125" line
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
You are fine. Take a look at the picture below. Is that the line in the picture? I am almost positive this is the only other line on your refrigerator that is not clear.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE