Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Washer wont agitate

Washer won't agitate - all other functions work. coupler? transmission? Washing machine agitation intermittently slips and knocks during a two towel load. Heavier loads won't agitate. Problem quickly escalated from occasional to frequent over a two week period (6 or 8 loads). Belt is okay and running during problem. I can see a 1/2" diameter pin pop up out of the top of the transmission when the agitator slips out of gear. The pin drops back down and the agitation resumes. Machine is a 24 year old Admiral model BAD44280 (love that model number ;-) It has lost maybe an ounce of gear fluid intermittently over the years. coupler? transmission? repair man???

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

unfortunately the transmission is the issue, the problem you have is I cant find the transmission for this, the parts are comming up unavailable because of the age, unless you know where you can find one . it may be time to replace the machine. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any way to confirm that it is the transmission rather than low gear fluid or something else?

PS I'll be offline for the next 7 hours
well if it was low on fluid its damaged for sure and the fluid damaged make the transmission run, it has gears, and they would still work but be loud.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

- low gear fluid...no, since it's not loud or grinding (makes sense)
- solenoid...would a bad solenoid display this intermittent problem?
- transmission test...any test to confirm that's the issue?
- transmission replacement...is there a Canadian source? *
- Whirlpool vs. Maytag...which would you recommend new? or something else?

* my local appliance parts shop can't find the model number (new lookup system 10 months ago). But if your American parts supplier has a Canadian parts inventory - can you send me the transmission manufacturer and their part number so I could source the part here?

Thanks,
~~Rob
unfortunately Rob I have the same problem here as you do in Canada. I cant bring up any parts or diagrams for this unit, obsolete, they have taken the model out of the system, I have checked 8 of my suppliers and nobody even has a parts list, sorry. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

Thanks,
~~Rob
well it could be the solenoid, the problem is I cant even look up anything on this so I cant to be honest tell you. stay away from maytag if you want a new machine. the whirlpool top load direct drive washer is the best on the market by far, I would and do recommend that if you are to replace yours, go simple without a lot of extras you wont ever use.I wish I could be of more help on your , sorry, unless your shifting coils is this one I cant help on that, hope I been helpful, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

I'll test the solenoid before going Whirpool top load (thanks for the recommendation). If you wish to followup with me after I "Accept Answer" - I can be reached [email protected]

Thanks again,
~~Rob
your Very welcome Rob, even after you accept this will stay open for 30 days , so if you find a washer you like you can ask me if its a good one if you want at no additional charge, just get the model # XXXXX let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Morning Bryan,

Thanks for your continued help - 12 hours shift are slowing my progress... I suspect a tub overflow hole over a solenoid is the cause of -all- my problems (and occassional past problems). I'm not sure what I'm seeing on the solenoid test. One solenoid had badly oxided contacts (from the water) and they've been cleaned.

- continuity - open circuit
- resistance - 0.565 (RX1000) ...there is a decimal between 0 and 5

I know RX100 is the usual, but my meter "auto-ranges" and uses RX1000. So for a solenoid is that normal resistance? And continuity I expected to be a closed circuit (?)

Thanks again,
~~Rob
its hard to say what the readings should be, I cant find any info on it. sounds like it bad though. I wish I had more info on the unit.