How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, restaurant equipment technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2136
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My vintage GE range/oven is model #J487E1WH. My lower bake

Resolved Question:

My vintage GE range/oven is model #J487E1WH. My lower bake element won't heat because the rheostat it plugs into (part #WB24X190) shorted out. I am desperate to find another. I understand GE no longer makes this rheostat. Do you know where I can get a used one? Perhaps some business that parts out old GE oven parts? Thank you very much. Susan
Submitted: 5 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Your best source for a replacement part is a motor rebuild shop. They should be able to match your rheostat.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is helpful to a point. The rheostat disintegrated when it shorted out. There is nothing to rebuild; I have nothing left. I appreciate the lead to contact a motor rebuild shop, but I think I'm going to need a lead to a collector who has a similiar range to part out. Does that sound like the most likely source for this scarce part?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Rheostats are still used as current controllers in motor control circuits. Since they're just a coiled wire with a sliding wiper, you should be able to find a suitable replacement. Another source I've though of is Grainger Supply.

John and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you