Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Jenn-Air side by side fridge stopped working. The back

My Jenn-Air side by side fridge stopped working. The back fan is working, but it is not chilling on either side, fridge or freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer behind your food ? is the fan inside the freezer running is that the one you say is running? also behind the refrigerator do you hear a click or buzz about every 3 minutes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No frost on the back of the freezer. The fan in the back of the fridge is running. I haven't seen the fan that blows into the freezer turn on though. I don't hear any kind of buzz at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay, do you think you can remove the panel in the back of the freezer behind your food and check the fan and coils?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I sure can.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay remove that and tell me if the fan starts if you spin it by hand, also do you own a multimeter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, the fan does not start. I do not own a multimeter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
try holding the light button in and spin it, this may get the power through the door switch, also is the frost on the coils at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It starts then stops. There is frost on the coils. It is making a "groaning noise" now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay you need to replace the fan motor. its common on these. you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/12002744/1174059?modelNumber=JCD2290HES good job !. thanks, Bryan