How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, restaurant equipment technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2136
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am attempting to convert a Franklin Chef GR10C-23 two burner

Customer Question

I am attempting to convert a Franklin Chef GR10C-23 two burner top with a flat top grill and oven, from natural gas to propane gas. I need to know what size orifices to use for the two top burners, the four grill burners, and the one oven burner. Also, do I have to change out the gas valve for the oven?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Propane has twice the caloric heat content of natural gas, measured in btu's per hour.

The orifice sizes need to be 1/2 the diameter that they are now. You have two choices for accomplishing the job. You can solder the present orifice cap holes, and drill them, or you can take samples to a local gas appliance service shop to buy new parts drillled to the proper size. For a drill sizing chart, go to You'll also need to replace the gas pressure regulator, if you have one, to one rated for propane use. When the parts have been replaced, adjust the burner air shutters for a bright blue flame, with minimum yellow tipping.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

John and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



The information you have given me is common knowledge. I was looking for specific orifice sizes for the franklin Chef GR10C-23.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
The only option for getting that information is the company's customer service department or one of its authorized servicers.