Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

Is it possible to install an over the range microwave oven

Is it possible to install an "over the range" microwave oven when there are no cabinets to secure it to? Do they make side rails or racks for that?
There is no way. The oven needs to be secured to something above it. The way it works is that the oven fits onto a bracket on the back and then screws go through a cabinet in the top of the microwave.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've seen rails at Lowes where they display the above oven microwaves that seem like they secure the sides pretty well. Are there commercial style rails that I could buy that would work like that? Do you think "L" brackets on top of the microwave would work?
Those are display piece that are provided to the store by the manufacturer.
L brackets could work but you would have to line everything up perfectly and make sure the L brackets are anchored securely because they will hold the weight of the unit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about using "L" brackets on top of the microwave and attached to the wall?
I answered you late on that sorry. Here it is again. L brackets could work but you would have to line everything up perfectly and make sure the L brackets are anchored securely because they will hold the weight of the unit.