How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Your Own Question
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 410
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Jason is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a G.E. model 23/25 side-by-side refrigerator and I am

Resolved Question:

I have a G.E. model 23/25 side-by-side refrigerator and I am unable to use the water dispensing device because every time I depress the activator, water leaks from the "S" shaped coils behind the crispers below the light bulb. There is a piece of styrofoam that conceals the area where the water is flowing from that I haven't removed because I don't know if I can re-install it or not.
Please advise me if I am able to repair this problem myself or if I will need to contact G.E. for a service call. If I am able to fix the trouble, will you be able to advise me how I should proceed? Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 6 years ago.
The leak is coming from the water tank. This is where water is held to be chilled for the dispenser. If you are able to pull the unit out and access the back compartment, I can walk you through the repair. IF you are not, it would be best to call a technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


Please give me a few minutes to get set up.

Expert:  Jason replied 6 years ago.
I am just asking if you can do it. You still need to get the part. If you can access it, I will send you directions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I feel pretty certain that I can accomplish what you are asking. I have the refrigerator pulled out and can get to it, however, if I remove the part you are speaking about, will I be able to continue using the refrigerator until a replacement part is in my hands?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 years ago.

Yes you can, but you can not use the water dispenser which you can't now anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. First of all, you can order the part at the following link:


To remove the tank remove the crisper drawers and shelves. This will give you access to the tank. Remove the two screws that hold it in. Then remove the front toe panel. Disconnect the water line that goes along the front of the unit to the door dispenser. Then pull that line through the by pulling the line from the tank. Then from the back remove the compartment cover and then disconnect the water line from the valve that is the larger of the two lines. The smaller line goes to the ice maker and the larger one goes to the water tank. Once removed from the valve, you can remove the line from the front by the tank and remove it fully. Just be careful to remember which hole the lines go through.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This does not sound like a simple fix and I choose not to attempt the repair myself. I will contact G.E. to have a technician do the work. Thanks for enlightening me.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome.
Jason and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you