Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Maytag Dryer model MDE6400AYW control dial when pulled does

not always start dry cycle...
Maytag Dryer model MDE6400AYW control dial when pulled does not always start dry cycle. Must repeatly pull several times before cycle will begin.
10/16/2011
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello how are you doing? Thank you for the accept for the refrigerator and for requesting me to help you with your dryer. I am not the best guy to help with a dryer, I can contact a coworker in the morning whom does do a very good job with dryers, would you like me to do that?

Barry
Yes, and thanks for the quick reply.
I will contact him in the morning and let him know to post, His name is XXXXX XXXXX he works here as well. Bookmark this page so you can return tomorrow. I do very well with refrigerators but he is far better than I am with dryers.

You are welcome, have a great night.

Barry
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

good morning, first I need to know a little more , when you say you have the pull the dial are you talking about the timer dial?

Yes, the timer or dryer select dial. The owners manual calls it the control dial. The dial is on the right side of the dryer and has to be pulled out to start the selected cycle.
unfortunately this is the timer thats bad, there are contacts inside the timer that get burnt, thats why sometimes you are able to get this to start after trying several times, they contact sometimes, you need to replace it, this is common on these, there is a link below to order it, take the three screws #12 out of the top of the control panel and lift the front of the control up and tilt the panel forward to access this. the timer is # XXXXX , to remove the knob in the back of the timer there is a small plastic post that runs through the middle of the timer knob shaft, pop the out and the knob will come off, link to part Hope this helps, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician