Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our washer door will not open. The light indicating it is locked

Customer Question

Our washer door will not open. The light indicating it is locked is on. What is our next step?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

do you have the model # ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model number MAH4000AWW
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay, open your dispenser on the top and there is a door lock release cable, it's actually a fluorescent plastic cable usually green, you can see it in this picture it comes from the door lock assembly and is in the front area of the dispenser and is sometimes hard to find but it's there, to get a hold of it and pull it to unlock the door, what cycle did this stop in?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not read it yet
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry take your time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this supposed to be something I can see? Do I need to take out the dispenser? If so, how do I do that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Well it's not very easy to see, you may want to remove the four screws holding the dispenser cover on and remove the cover, it's probably slid down where you can't see it, with the cover off you will probably see it and be able to grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it to unlock the door, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found the green cable and was able to open the door. Now I have to find out why it is not working but at least I can open the top and see what is going on. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you welcome, is there still water in it ? did it ever spin ?