Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

how do I know/test this to make sure this is the problem

Customer Question

how do I know/test this to make sure this is the problem?  We replaced control board assembly and still have problem. then I found this solution. How can I be sure that the gas sensor is the bad part?

RE: SE is a sensor error. Which is the moisture sensor and it will need to be replaced. Which Sears calls it a Gas sensor why I do not know!! But here is a link to the part

Read more: My kenmoore microwave has an SE error code. What can I do to - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/4ob1v-kenmoore-microwave-se-error-code.html#ixzz1ZXxs4FR5

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I do not know why anyone would say this is a bad sensor but it's not. SE means your touchpad has gone bad. I'm bettng you can't even get a response from any button you push on your touchpad. You can try to unplug the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset, but if not--you need to order and replace the touch control panel---no there is not a way you can test it without a touchpad ribbon cable tester which most people don't have unless you are a technician.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
As I stated above we already replaced the touch control panel.....that did not resolve the issue. That is when I returned online and saw the post about the GAS Sensor. So if I replaced the touch control panel and it still reads SE what then? Gas Sensor or what? We went with the contol panel because everyone including Sears said that was the problem. We are at a loss we have only had this 2 years.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
If the touchpad didn't fix the issue and you're sure you installed the touchpad correctly, then your display control board is just not reading the touchpad correctly and the control board will need to be replaced. This has absolutely nothing to do with with the 'gas sensor'.

Also, originally you said you replaced the control board--not the touchpad. So either you're using the wrong termonology or you think they are interchangable which they are not. They are two different parts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No Sir, We replaced the entire unit, which came with control board, touch pad and outer cover. So....this means we replaced both of the items you are referencing. We ordered the entire unit, it was a lit bit more expensive to do it that way. But it was recomended.

As for your comment "I do not know why anyone would say this is a bad sensor but it's not. SE means your touchpad has gone bad." That was posted on this very site. That was where I got that information from. The question was just answered on 09/27/2011.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, my name is Peter. I am eager to help you solve your appliance problems.

Do you have the model of your microwave?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
401.80086700 made by Kenmore. Serial# XXXXX
Expert:  Peter replied 6 years ago.

Do all the buttons on the keypad work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No Sir. This is what started the problem. First a few keys then all of them. That is why we replaced everything, keypad & control board. When that didn't work I returned on line and saw a post here saying it was the humidity sensor/gas sensor that was causing the SE code. Everyone said to replace keypad/control board assembly and that should take care of it.....but it hasn't.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you still here?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: NO answer.
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 6 years ago.
Hi...Bob Here..Please indicate what part you replaced.Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We repaced everything within the box 59. That entire unit.
Ok great..SE error means you have a shorted membrane keypad...#9 is the gas sensor..Remove the keypad (membrane ) at the control board..Reattach it..See if the code reappears..If it does this would not be the first time this has happened On a replacement part right out of the box.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My original recommendations were to replace part #59.

Thought as you stated that the part was bad, had second shipped out....and that didn't work either,

So while searching for additional possibilities I found the post that said.....

Read more: My kenmore microwave has an SE error code. What can I do to - Just Answer http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/4ob1v-kenmoore-microwave-se-error-code.html#ixzz1ZXxs4FR5

Where to from here? 1. Control panel assembly isn't problem, 2. post about moisture/gas sensor (which was the reason I asked for help here on this site) seems foreign to everyone. Three experts here and multiple hours research, with no solution.

You did not mention you replaced it twice..In order to replace the sensor ..You will need to remove the unit from the wall..Then remove the cover..Then replace the sensor #9
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
need someone to read all posts then give a solution if they have one... I have and can google the answers I've gotten from these "experts" all day long, for free! Don't reply unless you have an answer to the problem.
Your question was answered in the first techs reply..A Gas sensor (moisture sensor) does just that..It detects moisture..Has nothing to do with the keypad not working...There has been a problem with moisture getting into the control board and keypad..This will cause the problem you are having..The gas sensor alone will not be your problem...I would look towards the Wire harness in this case..Not a single expert can tell you exactly what the problem is over the inter net ..(that is if you in fact did replace the control board and keypad with a known good part)..without being there in front of the unit..You did say you can search the Internet for the Se error..If you do..You will find it means a shorted keypad..So you did get the right answer to your question..Just not the hands on trouble shooting you were expecting..Thanks Bob