Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My fridge (part of a fridge freezer digital electronic sixth

My fridge (part of a fridge freezer digital electronic sixth sense- service number 8586 411 15020) has been turned down to lowest setting for the last few weeks because it was cooling properly and still not achieving low temps. yesterday it stopped completely for most of the day thaen started again later on, although temps not very low. we have had to set up a temporary small fridge. Freezer seems to be working but the ice maker machine tray is not emptying its contents into the ice cube compartment - not sure if this is related to fridge prblem or not.

Can anyone please offer a solution? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere?

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing stready air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no significant frost in the freezer compartment, nothing noticeable. The vent seems to be blowing cold air out gently. Not sure which number is XXXXX number because it doesn't say. There is a number 20RB-D3 SF. Is that it?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
That is it. Thank you,

Go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well? Let me know when you can, I know it will take a few minutes to get the back off.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK

Compressor Hot on top.no vibration. No buzz or click. Fan is working.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX compressor, attached to the side is a box with wires going into the box or there will be parts with the wires going to them and those will be held on by a wire clip. Those are the most common styles for a compressor and overload relay set.

If there is a box, that will be a cover and under that will be the overload and relay set. Before I go further, do you have an ohm meter to test with?

Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Barry

Just got your reply. My Internet failed yesterday.
I do not have an ohm meter.

H.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, is the compressor so hot on the top you cannot hold your hand on it? And you are sure its not lightly vibrating?

Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was very hot but no vibration
I'll check again tomorrow
H.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Ok H.

Have a good day, morning or evening where you are.

Barry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Barry

The compressor is very hot and I cannot hold hand on it for 10 secs. However there is no vibration. (by the way the fridge seems to be working slightly but still not geting very cold) Also I emptied the ice tray maually but it is not refilling with water - I guess it does that after an automatic empty?

H

Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 years ago.
Yes the ice maker should fill automatically after it dumps. The thermostat was not cold enough so it probably will not send a signal to the water fill valve..

The reason I asked about the heat is because a compressor should never get so hot you cannot hold your hand on it. If it is cooling some then the compressor must still be good. The parts on the side of the compressor must be bad. That is the overload and relay set. Its attached with wires to the side of the compressor.

Be sure to make a wire diagram or take a picture of where the wires go before you take them off. Or change the wires out one at a time.

On the compressor pictured below the parts are mounted where the red arrow is pointing in the picture. The parts pull straight off, they fit tightly but they will pull off. Change the parts and wire it and plug it in. Do not order that online, you will not get what you have. They will send an aftermarket part that is not the same most likely. Take that in hand along with your model number to a local appliance parts dealer or repair shop.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic