Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
41736587

MDBH979AWW3 dishwasher will not turn on. lights turn on, wont

MDBH979AWW3 dishwasher will not turn on. lights turn on, won't turn on wash. door closes fine

Repairman1981 :

when the door closes does it snap?

Repairman1981 :

And whatr does it try to do when you try to start it? ANy beep or flash or anything?

Customer:

the door snaps close, the pressure switches light for normal and heated dry but the start button doesn't work and there isn't any beeps or flahs

Repairman1981 :

You either have a bad touchpad or a door switch not engaging, I would say you need to seperate the halves of the door panel, and check the door switch, It would be easiest to test

Repairman1981 :

Do you have a volt meter available?

Customer:

no volt meter. what tools do i need to separate the halves of the door panel

Repairman1981 :

just a screw driver, however that is pointless without a meter, you can't test a switch without a meter

Repairman1981 :

Lemme double check your model and see if this is the cheap crappy maytag door lock or a newer beefier one

Repairman1981 :

We can operate off a guess

Customer:

okay. it does seem like the touchpad . the lights are lighting which indicates the door is closed

Repairman1981 :

Yeah the latch is cheap crap on this model I would guess it but it's a 45.00 part

Repairman1981 :

Do the lights not come on on your model with the door open? And there are 2 switches, hot and neutral you can have one or the other bad and it light up but not engage

Repairman1981 :

Would be unlikely (not impossible) but unlikely the touchpad would have only 1 button fail

Repairman1981 :

That is the button you use most often so I can't say it wouldn't but I can say statistically (without a volt meter to test) the latch would be most probable and the touchpad 2nd most probable

Customer:

you are right. the lights work when the door is not latched. the latch is most likely the problem.

Repairman1981 :

Do you want part numbers for both?

Customer:

yes. but do we need a repairman. is it easy to repair. where do we get the parts

Repairman1981 :

I can get you a place to order from, if you have a screwdriver you can change either of these

Repairman1981 :

The touchpad would be harder but you should be able to accomplish very easy for both

Repairman1981 :

Minimal skill required

Repairman1981 :

If you want to hire someone you can, but they are both easy

Repairman1981 :

Lemme get you part numbers and pricing

Customer:

okay. will it come with instructions?

Repairman1981 :

Neither should

Repairman1981 :

IT's pretty easy, the easy stuff they don't include instructions on

Repairman1981 :

W10077360 is the latch, it's about 45 bucks

Repairman1981 :

W10254846 is the touchpad it's about 92

Repairman1981 :

You can order from Marcone by calling at 1-888-464-2853 or through Repairclinic.com whichever is easier for you. Both appear to have it in stock.

Customer:

Thanks so much! and goodnight.

Repairman1981 :

No problem it's what we're here for

Repairman1981 :

Have a great rest of your evening, and please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept. Thanks!