How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, restaurant equipment technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2136
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are trying to install a vintage Dacor stovetop (GC46B) and

Resolved Question:

We are trying to install a vintage Dacor stovetop (GC46B) and need to convert it to LP. Dacor calls for part kit #86512 to affect the conversion. Dacor no longer makes this part. What suggestions do you have to keep this great stovetop working?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Remove of the burner orifice caps, and take it to a local gas appliance repair shop for a match for as many caps as you need sized for natural gas use. If you have trouble finding them, you can always solder the holes in your present caps and redrill them to one half the diameter they are now. You'll also need to replace the gas presssure regulator with one rated for natural gas use.

When the correct parts are installed, adjust the burner air shutters for a bright blue flame with minimum yellow tipping.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Maybe I was unclear. The cooktop, in its native state, is set up for natural gas and I wish to convert it for LP operation.

Where are these burner orifice caps? Are they attached to the individual burners or part of the plumbing coming from the valve?

I can see that soldering to fill, then redrilling smaller would go in the right direction by restricting the pressure arriving at the burner. That's good.

But as to the regulator, you've got that dead wrong. I'll need a regulator rated for LP to meet my goals.

Let me know what you think and where I'll find these caps.

Best regards,

David Lester


Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

My apology. I lost track on the regulator, when I said to install a natural gas unit. Of course you should install a pressure regulator that's rated for propane use. The orifice caps are the jets that fit into the throat of the burner assemblies, through the air adjustment shutters.

Generic orifice caps are available with a predrilled #72 hole, which can be sized up as needed. Most gas appliance technicians stock them. The reason you need to match your original caps is that they come in many sizes, shapes and threat sizes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John, Very satisfactory. If I find generic caps with #72 hole, what size do they need to be drilled out to? What's the diameter of the hole for LP? Do you know? Can you give me an idea of the goal? Your answer was great! I'm just looking for a little sugar. Let me know if you know.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Generally speaking, the hole size for propane is 1/2 the diameter of the size used for natural gas. For a better idea on orifice sizing, go to .
John and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you