Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigerator. The icemaker

Customer Question
stopped making ice cubes. I...
I have a Frigidaire side by side refrigerator. The icemaker stopped making ice cubes. I know that water is going into the icemaker. I also know that the ice maker makes one revolution and then stops. I can get the ice maker to turn another revolution by turning the cam a little bit. My question, if the icemaker stops turning after one revolution, while the arm is down for making ice, is this normal or does this mean that the ice maker is bad and needs to be replaced? I noted that at the end of one revolution of the ice maker shaft, water then is introduced into the ice maker. It seemed as though the water flow was too high as it overflowed the icemaker and I do not know if this is normal either. As such, I thought that perhaps this is why the ice maker shaft makes only one revolution at a time. Your help is appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/6/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

If this goes one revolution adds water and then does not continue by itself to eject the ice in the harvest cycle than the ice maker is bad definitely. Unfortunately this ice maker is not a real expensive one, the ice maker is $80.00 at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/5303918277/941760 I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

I can leave the icemaker in place and try this, but in the past, the refrigerator leaked water from the bottom of the frig each time that the icemaker was set to make ice. A few days ago, I did all of the tests that I mentioned and then I removed the icemaker from the frig as I wanted to know if water was really entering the icemaker. I was heading out of town and did not want the frig to leak water during the time I was away. Before putting the unit back in place, I wanted to know if the cam should turn just once while making ice or if it should continue turning while in the icemaking mode? I could envision that if the shaft did not keep turning, the plastic fins could get attached to the ice while stationary and stop moving in short order. Am I wrong here? Should I put the unit back on line and see what happens? How long will it take for the icemaker to make a few ice cubes,assuming that it is operating correctly?
Well I don't want to tell you it's okay to leave it on especially if this is leaked in the past, the ice maker puts water in and then it takes probably an hour or more sometimes two hours to freeze solid and there is a thermostat in the ice maker that knows when the ice is frozen and when that kicks on it will go through its harvest cycle, which will then eject the ice and fill with water again, like I said sometimes this takes 1 to 2 hours to make a batch of ice the pending on how cold freezer is so if you haven't had this on for that long yet since you put water in it and cycled it then you probably have to wait until the ice freezes and then see if it ejects and then fills with water again, usually when people tell me they are going away I tell them to shut the water off the refrigerator because if they water line breaks in your not home it's bad will keep running water onto your floor, so that's up to you though, if you wait a couple hours and no ice drops then you might as well just take the ice maker out and replace it when you get home, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician