How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a Whirlpool Gold, Model GH7145XFQ-1 MICROWAVE with

Resolved Question:

We have a Whirlpool Gold, Model GH7145XFQ-1 MICROWAVE with fan on the underside. When we turn it on it makes a very loud humming noise and and smells like something burning. The microwave is clean inside. The interior light comes on when we press the start so know electricity is ok. The turntable also goes around ok. The noise is very loud and almost feels as if something is vibrating. Please let us know what you think?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.


Does the burning smell almost smell like a plastic burning smell ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it has a plastic smell to it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay the high voltage diode has failed,this part however is very dangerous to replace because it's on the high-voltage capacitor and even with the microwave unplugged this capacitor can hold a lethal amount of voltage, the part is only $9.50 and should be replaced by a qualified microwave technician, be safe and call for a technician to replace it for you, at least you know what it is and how much it's going to run for the part, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you