Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile PSS26SGRD that is not cooling properly.

I have a GE Profile PSS26SGRD that is not cooling properly. Freezer is at 13 degrees, Refrigerator is 41 degrees. Mother board was replaced in 2010. However I do not hear the fan coming on in the freezer compartment. Do I need to replace the main board again?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

you had the board replaced in 2010 ? can you tell me if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ? look real good. also you said you don't hear the fan in the freezer ? try pushing the light switch in with the freezer door open and see if it comes on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, main board was replaced last year because the Water/Ice dispenser stopped operating. I do notice frost build up on the back panel inside the freezer. When I press the door switch and listen for the fan, I do hear a motor come on. The fan has always been very noisy and noticeable when it was working properly. I feel no air blowing from the fan compartment.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay you have a defrost problem not a board problem, the first thing you need to do is remove the panel inside the freezer and the very back behind the food part number 213 on this diagram, once that is off you need to defrost all of the Frost on the coils behind that panel, the reason you don't hear the fan as loud is because the Frost is muffling it and the fan can do it's job because they're is too much Frost on the coils and it can't draw the air across the coils to send it to the refrigerator section, once this is defrost you need to replace either the heater, or the defrost thermostatI am going to include a link to a video on how to test the heater, if the heater tests good replace the thermostat, here is a link to the heater and the video. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X10055/914088?modelNumber=PSS26SGRDSS when you are done defrosting it put the panel back on until the part comes in and it will run correctly for about three weeks before you have this issue again, that's plenty of time for the part to arrive and you replace it then, thanks and best wishes, Bryan