Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an Amana refrigerator model ARB2214CW. Recently, the

Customer Question
I have an Amana refrigerator...
I have an Amana refrigerator model ARB2214CW. Recently, the starter relay went bad and a repairman came out and fixed the problem (with a non-factory part). Two weeks later, the refrigerator is broken again. I ordered a replacement starter relay and installed it per the repair manual, but that didn't fix the problem. Using the repair manual as a guide, I tested the start capacitor and saw that it reads open (not an initial low resistance that climbs toward infinity), so I ordered a replacement for that and it should be here tomorrow.

My question is about a plug that I cannot find a recepticle for in the compressor compartment. The plug is made of clear plastic and has two male lugs that are connected to a white wire and a blue wire. Since my refrigerator doesn't have a ice maker, it is possible that this 2-wire plug is for that purpose. Do the white and the blue wire connect to the start relay somehow? There are two connectors on the side of the relay that is opposite of the side of the relay that connects to the compressor (has 3 holes for the compressor's 3 pins). If these wires somehow connect to the start relay, which hole does which wire connect to?

Thanks,

Steve
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/1/2011
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is refrigerator running now at you replaced the relay? the plug is for nd ice maker if you wanted to put one in.

Bryan,

Hi and thanks for your help. A little background on me... although I'm not experienced in appliance repair, I was an electronics tech in the Navy for 23 years.

The refrigerator is not working right now. I have the service manual, and I tested the start relay I bought and it tests good. However, the start capacitor appears to test bad. The service manual says that when you use an ohm meter, the reading should be a low resistance at first, that slowly climbs toward infinity as the capacitor charges. My capacitor shows an infinite resistance immediately, even with the meter at its lowest setting. That leads me to believe that the capacitor has failed "open". So, I ordered a replacement capacitor and should have it by Saturday at the latest.

Learning from you that the 2-pronged connector (blue and white wire) is for an ice maker is a huge help (and a relief). Once I receive the start capacitor, I will install it and test the fridge.

okay, let me know, thanks Bryan
Another question... I know how to connect the relay and capacitor to the compressor, but how does the compressor receive power? At first, I thought that the plug with the white and blue wires (see photo called "plug") might be for an ice maker, but now I suspect that they might be power for the compressor. I don't see any wires that connect to the compressor, except for the green grounding wire, so I'm thinking this plug must be for compressor power. If that's the case, it will not plug into the compressor directly as there is no receptacle for the plug. Can you tell me which wire goes to which lug on the relay? Once I know which wire goes to which lug on the relay, I can get the proper lugs from Radio Shack and connect power to the compressor. Thanks!

plugplug

compressor
compressor

relay
that plug is for the relay but the relay you have isn't the original. the blue wire goes to the L (line) on the relay and the white is C (common), on the original relay it plugs right in thats why I was confused,

Bryan,

Thanks very much for the quick response. Unfortunately, the two connection points on the relay in the picture I provided aren't labeled L or C. On the relay itself, the bottom lug has a "2" next to it, but the top lug only has a long number next to it. Referencing the picture I provided above, please let me know which one is the line and which is the common. Once I know that, I should be all set. My fear is that if I get this wrong, I will fry the relay, the cap, or God forbid, the compressor.

Thanks!

Sorry actually I had to go out and work on a refrigerator and just got back,do you have a volt meter? I haven't got a diagram for that relay, you need to see which # XXXXX to the lower right post on the compressor, that is neutral, the white wire.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician